Download Firefox 4.0 Final Now a Day Early

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]col_krismiss[/nom]Also why cant I close tabs in just one click? why did they have to hide everything!? everything about this new firefox has frustrated me to no end! So much so I had to comment twice about it! lol[/citation]
Regarding your first message, not sure what you talking about. You can right click next to the address bar to turn on the menu bar with the usual pull-downs like History, Bookmarks, Options, etc etc. I have the menu bar off and just use Alt to pull it up when I need it. You can also right click the forward/back buttons->Customize to add in any buttons you want to the toolbar, History, Bookmarks, etc etc.

And to close tabs one click...install Tabmix Plus. I think middle clicking closes tabs with or without TMP.

Everything is really still there from 3.X. They just changed it a bit and you need to do a little detective work to bring it back to how you like it.

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
AND ANOTHER POST! I cant even close the god damn browser without bringing up my task manager! Can one of you who love this browser please explain how the hell it works what so ever for you? Cause its pure garbage to me....

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]Regarding your first message, not sure what you talking about. You can right click next to the address bar to turn on the menu bar with the usual pull-downs like History, Bookmarks, Options, etc etc. I have the menu bar off and just use Alt to pull it up when I need it. You can also right click the forward/back buttons->Customize to add in any buttons you want to the toolbar, History, Bookmarks, etc etc.And to close tabs one click...install Tabmix Plus. I think middle clicking closes tabs with or without TMP.[/citation]

I have none of that stuff, it used to be there, but then I closed the browser and opened it again and now I have absolutely nothing but that Firefox symbol in the upper left that brings up the search bar, opened tabs and most visited websites, and nothing else....there is no way at all for me to close tabs or to edit options....

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

You may want to try the most annoying option: Add/remove uninstall Firefox, reinstall it from scratch to a different folder, and run it with firefox.exe /profilemanager to start with a fresh profile. Maybe something went bad in the upgrade to 4.0, maybe one of your addons was coded poorly and the developer set supported version = 4.* without thinking. The addon equation can be eliminated with Help->Restart with Addons Disabled.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]col_krismiss[/nom]I had no addons before, this was a fresh install....[/citation]
Ok...let's start from the beginning then: for me a fresh profile looks like: http://img576.imageshack.us/i/image2lg.png/ . Is that what it looks like for you?

[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]Ok...let's start from the beginning then: for me a fresh profile looks like: http://img576.imageshack.us/i/image2lg.png/ . Is that what it looks like for you?[/citation]
It doesn't look anything like that for Vista/7 users.

col_krismiss: when you click on the firefox symbol in the upper left, one of the options in the menu should be "options". That will let you change settings. Alternatively, you can change advanced options (as always) by typing "about:config" in the address bar.

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Its all better. I had to uninstall firefox and all custom options. They way it was was crazy terrible. no tool bar or anything. just a little firefox symbol that didnt give any options, just windows of open tabs, and it didnt even let me close those tabs, haha. I thought thats what was so special about 4 and it PISSED ME OFF! haha

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Is it just me or did they photoshop that woman in the picture's shirt to have the Firefox logo? I swear, the same chick is also on the IE9 page in the same pose but with the IE logo on her shirt.

Am I losing my mind or something?

drakefyre

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]Is it just me or did they photoshop that woman in the picture's shirt to have the Firefox logo? I swear, the same chick is also on the IE9 page in the same pose but with the IE logo on her shirt.Am I losing my mind or something?[/citation]

You're not losing your mind. It is photoshopped. She's Haley Emy Bickers, also known as Emelie Blid.

Original: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kukmciR7Pf1qa4lng.jpg

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]luc2k[/nom]Using that picture in every IE/FF article is getting tiresome. Fake boobs don't help either.[/citation]
You, sir, are a bad man. Next You're gonna say that beer is crap, and computers suck...shesh.

luc2k

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

Beer is crap, but computers don't suck.

cz-75

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I hate it. I went back to 3.6.15 so I can get my controls and most add-ons back. This is browser-lite for folks who just want to use the program w/o any mental involvement.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cz-75[/nom]I hate it. I went back to 3.6.15 so I can get my controls and most add-ons back. This is browser-lite for folks who just want to use the program w/o any mental involvement.[/citation]

lol, i still have 3.5.17
i went from firefox 1.5 to 2.X (the last real build of 2) to 3.5 and im considering 4 if i can install it and test it out without it effecting 3.5's install.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I've been using the betas for ages, I initially had a couple issues with it, but it was easy to customise to my liking and I now find it much preferable to the previous version. It's a shame Firefox is lagging behind Chrome with regard to performance and stability, because it's still the best user experience and interface in my view - I tried switching to Chrome several times to see if it grew on me, but the minimalist way of doing things just isn't for me.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]luc2k[/nom]Using that picture in every IE/FF article is getting tiresome. Fake boobs don't help either.[/citation]
Agreed, once you either finish puberty or lose your virginity pictures of scantily clad women become much less exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.