[SOLVED] download router problem

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
When downloading big files at 4-5 mbps on wired Connection other wireless devices in household gets problems streaming, if i lower the download
to 3 mbps its ok but cant handle speeds over that. I tried a speedtest when downloading a 30 mb file at 4 mbps and i got 12 mb down of 60 mbps,
If i pause the download the download speed gets right back Close to 60 mbps.
Should the wired download at 4/5 mbps affect the other devices in the household this much? Im suspecting isp is throttling total speed when using
some services.

Solution
It may be your UPLOAD bandwidth that you are saturating. Downloads are generally in MB (mega bytes) so a 5MB/s download is about 50Mb. But you have to send acknowledgement packets to the source. If your upload bandwidth is too small, you can saturate that and impact other users without maxing out your download bandwidth.

kanewolf

Titan
It may be your UPLOAD bandwidth that you are saturating. Downloads are generally in MB (mega bytes) so a 5MB/s download is about 50Mb. But you have to send acknowledgement packets to the source. If your upload bandwidth is too small, you can saturate that and impact other users without maxing out your download bandwidth.

Solution