Question Download speed is only 300kbps when speedtest shows 30mbps

kvintanzil

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
i am using a computer with an Asus motherboard and TPlink modem with the latest version of windows 10 and my internet has been really weird for almost 2 months now, sometimes it runs normal but sometimes i barely able to load websites and even pictures, my download speed is also only 300kbps or even 60kbps from multiple download sites including steam, the normal download speed should've been about 2mb-3mbps, i tried checking my ping through cmd command ping 8.8.8.8 and i get low latency everytime and no RTO, also in speedtest it shows a stable 30 mbps of download and 5mbps of upload with 5 ping, which is my normal speed. i also tried through my phone with the wifi and it's still same but less noticable

i am using an internet cable from my local ISP and i phoned them regarding this problem and they couldn't find any problem with it, they even tried refreshing my net, in my house only me and brother are using it, i tried turned off the wifi to see if the problem still persist and it still does, when my brother go to work and isn't using the internet i also tested this and the problem does still persist sometimes

sometimes restarting the modem will work and my internet went back to normal, but sometimes it didn't. so i have no idea what's the problem here? can you help me find out, thank you very much.

could it be someone is using net cut on me? i have no idea what that is but my friend told me this could be the problem, how do i found out about this if it's the case?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Where is the router and the PCs connected to it situated? Echoing above, are you connected via network cable or did you just disable wireless to see if that was compromising network cable?

Does your brother have the same issues?

What internet connection do you have? Cable/fibre or dsl?

In terms if internet connection speeds, what is your plan? Most isps list plans as mbps not MB/s so just checking what you have. Bandwidth conversion 3mbps = 375KB/s.

Last edited:

kvintanzil

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
Seems like the problem lies in modem or with isp.

You could just try to use a cat5 cable instead of wifi just to see if that makes any difference. But I doubt.

If nothing works, you may just ask your isp for a replacement modem.

i do use cable on my computer and wifi is for phone only, both computer and phone have slow speed and barely able to open sites..

i tried restarting it from the modem just now and the speed seems to be fixed, for now.. but i am sure the problem will appear again in about 3-4 hours? it's really weird, i tried contacting the ISP but they said nothing's wrong on their end

Where is the router and the PCs connected to it situated? Echoing above, are you connected via network cable or did you just disable wireless to see if that was compromising network cable?

Does your brother have the same issues?

What internet connection do you have? Cable/fibre or dsl?

In terms if internet connection speeds, what is your plan? Most isps list plans as mbps not MB/s so just checking what you have. Bandwidth conversion 3mbps = 375KB/s.

the router is right beside the PC and i am connecting it via network cable, same goes for my brother's pc. wifi is for phone use only. i did try disabling the wifi to see if it will fix the problem but it didn't

i think it's fibre optic and yes my brother have the same issues, even our phone is having this issue when connecting via wifi. it's just so slow

i have been using this ISP for 2 years now and the usual, normal speed is always 2-3mbps when downloading something and 30mbps on speedtest result. only the last 2 months it's becoming like this

tried contacting the ISP and they said nothing's wrong with their end, maybe i should try changing router / modem ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
30mbps is 3.75MB/s, is that what you mean? There is a difference between megabits (mbps) and megabytes (MB/s). 3mbps is 0.375 MB/s or 375KB (kilobytes).

I think you meant 2~3 Megabytes in which case there's probably something wrong with the router. Isp's only test to the modem not to your PC so the connection between isp and modem might be fine to them but beyond that from router to you guys probably isn't.