Question Download Speeds capped at 1.4 on USB SSD, it's been months!

Jul 26, 2020
Hello,

Every time I fresh install windows 10 on to my external SSD for gaming, the download speeds are fine around 12/mb (should really be getting 15mb/s like my WIFI and LAN on my desktop). After a few weeks, it just stops working. I tried so many fresh installs. This is an issue specifically with External windows USB. My main NVMe drives are fine in my laptop. Some points:
  1. Downloads are now capped at 1 - 1.4mb/s, opposed to 15mb/s, from any vendor, STEAM, google drive, etc.
  2. Sometimes, when I connected to my neighbors wifi, then switch back, it resolves. But not anymore. Literally just feels broken.
  3. This is a samsung pro 840 ssd via usb 3.0.
  4. MSI GS66 laptop with 6core and 2070
Before you ask me to check my router, internet connections, drive, cables, etc, that is NOT the issue. All other computers in the house download fine, including this laptops main NVMe SSD. It's Windows being on an external drive. When I asked other forums for help, their answer is always "External Windows is no longer supported, it's pretty much just glitchy and broken".Anyway, if you guys solve this, you're seriously geniuses. This laptop is for work so I like to have my games on a portable SSD.

Pay attention to the network drivers version when the download speed is working at around 12Mbps.
Windows might be upgrading the network drivers, causing the internet to drop speed.

By the way the system speed (running apps , internet, etc.) won't be as fast when running from a USB port, as it is when running from the main internal disk.

Check USB Settings 'USB selective suspend settings' (under advanced power options) and see if it works better when disabled.
Also check 'PCI Express 'Link State Power Management' (under advanced power options) and change it to moderate or off.

Reactions: MGerazz
Jul 26, 2020
Tried all that, and considering the USB is actually using my SSD for windows I don't see it timing out. Still not working and capped at 1.4mb. Also, all drivers are the same as my internal NVMe ssd, same windows copy, etc. Yes it won't be the same, but these are ridiculously slow speeds and someting is definitely wrong.

When I connect to my neighbours wifi I get like 4.5sh on my usb ssd. So weird. Everything is the exact same on this usb ssd, and when i fresh install it it works just fine. Feels like a glitch.

Pay attention to the network drivers version when the download speed is working at around 12Mbps.
Windows might be upgrading the network drivers, causing the internet to drop speed.

By the way the system speed (running apps , internet, etc.) won't be as fast when running from a USB port, as it is when running from the main internal disk.

Check USB Settings 'USB selective suspend settings' (under advanced power options) and see if it works better when disabled.
Also check 'PCI Express 'Link State Power Management' (under advanced power options) and change it to moderate or off.

Last edited:
Tried all that, and considering the USB is actually using my SSD for windows I don't see it timing out.
It won't time out but the power delivery to the USB might be lower, which will hinder transfer speed.

.... all drivers are the same as my internal NVMe ssd, same windows copy, etc.
That might be the issue. Which version of Windows are you using?
On my system I have Windows 10 2004, but on Windows To Go USB, I use Windows 10 1909 or earlier.
I do not have the same drivers versions on both.

Yes it won't be the same, but these are ridiculously slow speeds and someting is definitely wrong.
I was referring to the mention of getting up to 15Mbps from Windows 10 and up to 12Mbps from Windows 10 To Go.

When I connect to my neighbours wifi I get like 4.5sh on my usb ssd. So weird. Everything is the exact same on this usb ssd, and when i fresh install it it works just fine. Feels like a glitch.

Jul 26, 2020
Nope, I tried 2004, 1909, and earlier on my usb2go. The same for everything, works at first, then after a couple weeks the speed is capped. I also tried differnent methods/formats for usb2go. Literally fresh installed 15 times.

That might be the issue. Which version of Windows are you using?
On my system I have Windows 10 2004, but on Windows To Go USB, I use Windows 10 1909 or earlier.
I do not have the same drivers versions on both.

Jul 26, 2020
Did you tried on different USB ports?

Tried all the USB b ports, haven't tried the USB C or thunderbolt port. Just ordered an adapter. But I don't see this helping, since it's fine after formatting for like 2-3 weeks, everytime like clockwork.

Last edited:
If you try the Windows To Go USB on another computer does the Internet speed is capped?
If you transfer files within your network, is the speed capped?
I have tried 1809, 1903 & 1909, and I cannot replicate your issue.
I used a SanDisk USB 3.1 (gen 1), a Micron SATA M.2 SSD (on a USB to M.2 adapter) and a Intel NVMe M.2 SSD (on a USB type-C to M.2 adapter)