Question Download speeds different

Kyle6858

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2014
Ok, I have a quick question. My wife and I are hooked up to the same router via ethernet. We are both getting 900mbps download on speedtest, but when she downloads anything, files on chrome, steam games, etc she drops to less than 100mbps. I on the other hand have near 900mbps download speeds across all applications. we both use a cat 6 cable, she is plugged into port #2, i am in #1 (dont know if that makes a difference), her bios is up to date. I was wondering if I was missing something or what.

These tends to be hard to find when some applications...ie speedtest...works and others do not.

I would look for some kind of software that claims to favor or limit one type of traffic over another. You many times find this in the bloatware that comes with motherboards or video cards. cfosspeed is a common name.

Maybe try to copy files between the machine in your house. This is mostly to see if it might be some kind of storage issue. Speedtest does not actually save the files it downloads like a actual download does.

Although it likely makes no difference try to disable IPv6 support in the nic settings.