Download speeds quickly dropping after a fast start.

Apr 17, 2018
When I download an update to a game (Like Overwatch), It starts out fine, at around 25-39 MB/s, then rapidly drops to around 4 KB/s. It doesn't stop downloading, but it may as well be useless at such slow speeds. I have an Ethernet cable connected to my router about 8 feet away, and I tried downloading over Wi-Fi, and had the same issue. Pausing the download and resuming it brings speeds up to about 8 MB/s, but it rapidly drops back down to 4 KB/s. This hadn't happened before, until this week. I use Xfinity Wi-Fi, at very high data speeds. Internet speed tests report 210 MB/s download speeds, and 12.1 MB/s upload speeds. System Specs: Windows 10 Home 64 bit, GTX 1070, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i5-6600K @3.50 GHz

Does it do that on all games or only ones from say blizzard. Does it do that with steam based games. There are a number of large free games you can download on steam if you need to test. You could also I suppose download something like the win10 image from microsoft.

ISP used to do tricky things like let your download at high speed and then drop the speed. It was to get good numbers on speedtest sites. Some actually admitted to doing it and called it "turbo" mode. It does help with web pages that download lots of small files.

They do not do that as much now that the packages have become so fast.

If it does this on all sites I would be suspect of the software in the PC. Make sure you do not have any so called "gaming" network accelerators running. Killer chipset is one of the worst offenders to causing strange issues.

If it does this on multiple PC on multiple internet sites then it almost has to be the ISP. Your router can not really do this, people come here asking how to limit speed and it is not a feature you can get without loading third party firmware.

Apr 17, 2018

It happens on any launcher, downloading anything. It happens every time I download something

Apr 17, 2018

| It happens while downloading anything, whether it be a game, or even just updating the launcher (Like Steam). This affects no devices other than mine, which leads me to think that it's software based. I don't know that Killer Chipset is, and I'm fairly certain that I don't have/use it.