[SOLVED] Downloading file double the ssd size

Mar 1, 2019
Hello all,
I wonder if someone encounter with an issue that while downloading a file to a ssd drive in windows 10 the file is doubling the ssd usable sizzle.
For example if the ssd is 500 gigabytes and I download a file 50 gigabytes the ssd show now 400 available and not 450.
Will appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Doron.

Solution
Hehe not sure what actually helped but I clear the browser cache and restart the computer and it worked.
Next time need to remember first try to do restart before any thing else 🤔
How much empty space did you have before the download?
For example, my 500gb ssd only had 475gb available to start with.

The extra is for reserved nand blocks and controls.

Then, if this is a windows ssd, you need to account for windows and other files.

If you're downloading with a browser, some browsers will first download the file into a temporary directory. When it's finished downloading, it will copy the temporary file into your downloads directory. To reclaim the space in the temporary directory, you have to close the browser (doesn't always work), or manually clear the browser's disk cache, or run Windows' Disk Cleanup, or run a cleaning program like CCleaner.

Another possibility is that pretty much all SSDs are now MLC or TLC (two or three bits stored per NAND cell). It's slower to write data in MLC or TLC mode, so they will initially write new data in SLC mode (one bit per cell). Then later during idle time they will re-write the data in MLC or TLC mode to save space. I thought the drive did this on its own, and hid the process from Windows. But I suppose it's possible it's reporting the lack of available space to Windows until the re-write has been completed.

Mar 1, 2019
Hehe not sure what actually helped but I clear the browser cache and restart the computer and it worked.
Next time need to remember first try to do restart before any thing else 🤔

Solution