[SOLVED] downloading large files takes up the entire internet on my wifi

Jul 26, 2021
Every time me or my brother downloads a game or a large file, it takes up all the internet completely and its unusable to anybody else connected to my wifi, it only happens on my brothers and I's windows computer but not on my dads imac or our phones, I can run about 120 mb/s on my computer and it takes up all the internet but on our Xbox I can average around 200-300 mb/s with no issue of it taking up the internet, do I just have bad internet or is there a fix to this?

Solution
See if your router has QoS (Quality of Service). If it does then you can limit the bandwidth to his computer. So, he doesn't hog it all. You'd be setting it up by MAC Address (not the same thing as Macintosh). You'd need to know the MAC Address of his network adapter. Either by finding it on his computer or figuring it out by the list of devices connected to your router.
See if your router has QoS (Quality of Service). If it does then you can limit the bandwidth to his computer. So, he doesn't hog it all. You'd be setting it up by MAC Address (not the same thing as Macintosh). You'd need to know the MAC Address of his network adapter. Either by finding it on his computer or figuring it out by the list of devices connected to your router.

Solution
Jul 26, 2021
thank you I'll try that out

kanewolf

Titan
Every time me or my brother downloads a game or a large file, it takes up all the internet completely and its unusable to anybody else connected to my wifi, it only happens on my brothers and I's windows computer but not on my dads imac or our phones, I can run about 120 mb/s on my computer and it takes up all the internet but on our Xbox I can average around 200-300 mb/s with no issue of it taking up the internet, do I just have bad internet or is there a fix to this?
My guess is that your PC and your brothers are using 2.4Ghz WIFI. The Xbox, iMac, etc are using 5Ghz. Your PCs may be too far away from the router to use 5Ghz or may not have hardware that supports 5Ghz.
Using something other than WIFI will be the best answer. Ethernet cable is best, then MOCA (ethernet with coax), then powerline adapters and last WIFI.
Getting three powerline adapters, one at the router, and one in your room and one in your brothers should allow you to have a better network. If you get the AV2 adapters you should get a consistent 100Mb/s network throughput.

TRENDING THREADS