Question Downloading/Uploading causes extreme packet loss after windows reinstall

Jul 17, 2022
Hi,
As the title states whenever I download or upload i get severe packet loss which causes the inability to use programs like Teamspeak/Discord and stream to Twitch.

This seems to have started since I had to reinstall windows after my old hard drive failed about two weeks ago. I initially thought it may have been my ISP but have since been in contact with them and had all new equipment installed.
This has been baffling me as I cannot figure out what it could be. I'm also a bit of a noob when it comes to networking so looking online at various solutions gets a bit confusing. I did however set up a broadband quality monitor which you can view in the link below.

I will state that I am using a powerline adapter but this has never really caused any issues in the past. I have tested a laptop on the same network when I start downloading on my PC and the laptop does not have any packet loss. It seems to be localized on my PC and I cannot seem to figure out what it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broa...hare/7e5f709557f1e83f300bb340af5f27971498e606

Router/Modem: Virgin Media Superhub 3

PC Specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Version: 21H2
Installed on: ‎25/‎06/‎2022
OS build : 19044.1826
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z97X-Gaming 3 (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
BenQ GL2450H (1920x1080@60Hz)
LG TV (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ZOTAC International)
SLI Disabled
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZAZ-00L9GB0 (SATA (SSD))
223GB KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (SATA-2 (SSD))
931GB TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 USB Device (USB (SATA) )
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD0
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full PC hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model modem?

Make and model router?

On the PC open either Task Manager or Resource Monitor. Use both tools but only one at a time.

First simply observe what the system is doing. Then continue to observe while doing light work or browsing.

Last observe while using TeamSpeak/Discord or Streaming.

Objective being to discover what changes or happens when the packet losses start to occur.

Other things you can do:

Verify that only one network adapter is enabled on the PC be it wired or wireless.

Disable IPv6.

Check the router's logs (if available and enabled). The logs may be capturing something.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

Jul 17, 2022
Update your post to include full PC hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model modem?

Make and model router?

On the PC open either Task Manager or Resource Monitor. Use both tools but only one at a time.

First simply observe what the system is doing. Then continue to observe while doing light work or browsing.

Last observe while using TeamSpeak/Discord or Streaming.

Objective being to discover what changes or happens when the packet losses start to occur.

Other things you can do:

Verify that only one network adapter is enabled on the PC be it wired or wireless.

Disable IPv6.

Check the router's logs (if available and enabled). The logs may be capturing something.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

Thanks for your reply,

I've updated my post with PC specs etc.

Observing task manager and resource monitor it all seems pretty standard, nothing is jumping out at me as abnormal. The only thing i have noticed is that depending on the type of online activity i am doing wether it be streaming to Twitch or downloading a file, depending on the network demand of the service the packet loss being observed via Teamspeak increases along side it.

I get zero packet loss hen just watching youtube or twitch, it seems I have to actively uploading or downloading for the loss to start happening and the longer I am uploading or downloading for the greater the packet loss increases.

IPv6 has been disabled - No difference in packet loss

I'm a bit unsure on what i'm looking for when looking at the router for any logs.

IPconfig:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mark
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 40-8D-5C-14-73-6B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.13(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 17 July 2022 12:19:34
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 18 July 2022 12:19:34
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Hopefully you may be able to see something i can't

Thanks

Jul 17, 2022
What do you see in the router's logs?

In general, I am wondering about that "Killer" Controller.

Is it possible for you to install, configure, and test some other Ethernet Adapter?

Unable to find any routers logs at the moment. New router still figuring out where everything is.

The "Killer" controller is the network adapter on Gygabyte Z97x motherboards. There is an alternative driver for it available somewhere as its what I used after a previous Windows installation. The version I am currently using is what was provided on my disc of chipset drivers. But after much searching online I am unable to find the other version.

Hi,
As the title states whenever I download or upload i get severe packet loss which causes the inability to use programs like Teamspeak/Discord and stream to Twitch.

This seems to have started since I had to reinstall windows after my old hard drive failed about two weeks ago. I initially thought it may have been my ISP but have since been in contact with them and had all new equipment installed.
This has been baffling me as I cannot figure out what it could be. I'm also a bit of a noob when it comes to networking so looking online at various solutions gets a bit confusing. I did however set up a broadband quality monitor which you can view in the link below.

I will state that I am using a powerline adapter but this has never really caused any issues in the past. I have tested a laptop on the same network when I start downloading on my PC and the laptop does not have any packet loss. It seems to be localized on my PC and I cannot seem to figure out what it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broa...hare/7e5f709557f1e83f300bb340af5f27971498e606

Router/Modem: Virgin Media Superhub 3

PC Specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Version: 21H2
Installed on: ‎25/‎06/‎2022
OS build : 19044.1826
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z97X-Gaming 3 (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
BenQ GL2450H (1920x1080@60Hz)
LG TV (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ZOTAC International)
SLI Disabled
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZAZ-00L9GB0 (SATA (SSD))
223GB KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (SATA-2 (SSD))
931GB TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 USB Device (USB (SATA) )
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD0
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Proper bios/chipset/management engine?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-Gaming-3-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver