[SOLVED] "Downloads" folder keeps crashing

Jan 12, 2021
Hello,
I‘m experiencing a weird issue: when I try to open my Downloads folder, it crashes.
This started happening when I downloaded a few GIFs (in WinRAR) and extracted them into a folder. That folder was crashing whenever I tried to open it, so I decided to transfer the GIFs from the WinRAR into my Downloads folder. What happens then is my Folder Explorer crashing whenever I try to open the Downloads folder.

The issue must bet the GIFs, right? I just don’t understand what exactly it is (the GIFs are safe, downloaded from Google images and I even had them on my phone for a long time).
Side Note: If it helps – when I was deleting the folder containing GIFs, Windows said that the folder was “too long“ to be transfered in the recycle bin and that I'd have to delete it directly.

Jan 12, 2021
sound like the gif name is the issue.
rename the file before extract
But how do I rename it if I can't access the folder it's in?
Edit: The GIFs are in a folder "Downloads" that keeps crashing, so I'm not sure how else to access them and rename/delate them.

Jan 12, 2021
can't do it in the winrar tool?
it is a zip file?
It was a ".rar" file. I was able to open the .rar file without crashing, but once I extracted it into a classic folder, that folder kept crashing when I clicked on it. So I decided to copy the GIFs from the .rar folder and paste them into the Downloads folder. And that's when it kept crashing.

I think you're right about the limited characters though. It might be the cause. But since I can't access the GIFs anymore to rename them, what can I do?

USAFRet

Titan
It was a ".rar" file. I was able to open the .rar file without crashing, but once I extracted it into a classic folder, that folder kept crashing when I clicked on it. So I decided to copy the GIFs from the .rar folder and paste them into the Downloads folder. And that's when it kept crashing.

I think you're right about the limited characters though. It might be the cause. But since I can't access the GIFs anymore to rename them, what can I do?
Likely the folder(s) and file name of this gif is too long when uzipped and put in the downloads folder.

c:/Users/<username>/Downloads/then whatever is in that whole zip thing.

Possibly delete everything in the Downloads, from the comandline.

Reactions: xxcat