Downscaling monitor resolutions

catbus1

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
I have a question regarding how downsizing works in relation to monitors that have the same display size. If I were to downscale a 27 inch 2k resolution display to 1080p would the image clarity be the same as a native 27 inch that natively displays 1080p?

PPI should be the same between both displays @ 1080p correct?

Solution
No. An LCD should be run at it's native resolution, otherwise you lose 1:1 pixel mapping. This means that you introduce a slight blur, however. It'll almost look like 1080 on a 27" screen, just not quite there yet, same goes for a higher resolution than native, downscaling instead. Almost as good as the higher target resolution, but not quite there yet. PPI is static, changing resolution doesn't change the amount of physical pixels on your display. It's done via scaling/software, and so only high end TV's as far as I'm concerned with great scalers get this near perfect.
No. An LCD should be run at it's native resolution, otherwise you lose 1:1 pixel mapping. This means that you introduce a slight blur, however. It'll almost look like 1080 on a 27" screen, just not quite there yet, same goes for a higher resolution than native, downscaling instead. Almost as good as the higher target resolution, but not quite there yet. PPI is static, changing resolution doesn't change the amount of physical pixels on your display. It's done via scaling/software, and so only high end TV's as far as I'm concerned with great scalers get this near perfect.

Solution