Question DP KVM with Surface and Desktop ?

I3igDmsu

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Hello I want to share a single monitor, keyboard and mouse between a desktop machine with a DP, a Surface Pro 6 with a miniDP and a monitor with HDMI.

I have a DP and USB KVM. The USB works but cannot get the monitor to be detected on either machine (the monitor does work on the desktop if use DP without the KVM).

Please help with the cables to see if I can get it working. I need a miniDP to DP from Surface to KVM. Also need a DP to HDMI from KVM to monitor. Do these both need to be bi-directional, active, powered too? Thanks much.

These rest should be DP to DP cables and USB to USB cables.

Ralston18

Titan
Required video connectivity being:

Surface Pro 6 [mini DP port] < --- [mini DP plug] ====DP cable ==== [DP plug] ---> [DP port IN] KVM switch [ DP Port OUT] < --- [ DP plug] ==== HDMI cable ====[HDMI plug] ---> Monitor.

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

Make and model KVM, make and model monitor?

As I understand the requirements the following cable should work (example only - not a specific product recommendation or endorsement):

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-Uni-Directional-DisplayPort-Display/dp/B015OW3M1W?th=1

I suggest that you sketch out a full diagram showing the KVM, the Surface Pro, the Desktop, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. You can find any number of example formats on line.

Include all ports, plugs, genders, cable types etc.. so everthing can be planned out and double checked before ordering the necessary items.

Read product specs carefully.

I3igDmsu

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Here is the video diagram:
Surface Pro 6 [mini DP port, F] < --- [mini DP plug, F] ====DP cable ==== [DP plug, M] ---> [DP port IN, F] KVM switch

Desktop [DP port, F] < --- [HDMI, M] ====DP cable ==== [DP plug, M] ---> [DP port IN, F] KVM switch

KVM switch [ DP Port OUT, F]< --- [ DP plug, M] ==== HDMI cable ====[HDMI plug, M] ---> [HDMI or DVI or VGA, F] Monitor

I have a Cable Matters KVM:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...35FJaxitVJuxfSQgAO5T3Gy-PUiipZDcaAkUxEALw_wcB

The KVM above came with DP cables.
I need a mini DP to DP cable Does this have to be bi-directional, active, powered? Suggestions?
I need a DP to HDMI cable. Does this have to be bi-directional, active, powered? Suggestions?

Thank you.

I3igDmsu

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Can someone help with the correct cabling needed?
I need a mini DP to DP cable Does this have to be bi-directional, active, powered? Suggestions?

I need a DP to HDMI cable. Does this have to be bi-directional, active, powered? Suggestions?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Can someone help with the correct cabling needed?

The first cable requires no additional power and should be bi-directional.

The second cable is different. DP to HDMI are one way, IIRC. If going from HDMI to DP, that would have to be "active".