Question DPC and ISR routines execute for too long. Occasional lags with popping and clicking sounds

Jun 16, 2024
Hello. I have been experiencing this problem for 4+ weeks. It randomly just appeared. The problem is most noticeable when playing a game, where occasional lags occur followed by clicking and popping sounds if sound is playing. In some games, it is sort of bearable, while in others the lag is persistent, with no millisecond of break. Though, the problem occurs when literally doing nothing on the PC at random periods, or even when doing the simplest stuff - watching a youtube video or opening an app as an administrator. Yes, that causes the computer to produce that clicking sound as the sound plays when you open the app, as well as the lag. This is not a problem with the power supply, since I have a good power supply and a PC. I have tried updating/redownloading drivers for the GPU. My BIOS is all up to date, and I tried disabling CPU throttling nonetheless, as well as making all BIOS settings to default - all in vain. I also tried doing /sfc scannow and DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, that didn't help too. I will be extremely grateful if someone helps me fix this issue. Oh, also, before the issue could be fixed by entering a game for literally any time, and then letting the computer go to sleep mode by itself. And it magically fixes, until the PC is turned off and booted up again, or it goes to sleep mode again. Now, that doesn't work to fix magically. Also, it randomly fixed by itself while I was working on my PC, but that happened a few times and is not happening right now. Oh, I also redownloaded Windows 10 fully, brand new, very fresh. The issue was fixed, until I downloaded latest GeForce Game Ready drivers (the basic drivers weren't enough to run games - the framerate was very low until I downloaded the Game Ready drivers) and the lags returned. I don't know if it is a coincidence. Here is some information from Latency Mon:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:01:02 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: DESKTOP-MQM8D0S
OS version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19045 (x64)
Hardware: To be filled by O.E.M., Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/17/13 14:13:56 Ver: 04.06.05
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Logical processors: 8
Processor groups: 1
Processor group size: 8
RAM: 16347 MB total
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed (WMI): 3901 MHz
Reported CPU speed (registry): 3392 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 121363.10
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 51.251522

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 121357.80
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 43.957543

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 121300.165094
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.376421
Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.574506

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 74060
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-1000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 121367.231132
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: USBPORT.SYS - Драйвер порта USB 1.1 и 2.0, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.124528
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: USBPORT.SYS - Драйвер порта USB 1.1 и 2.0, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.627076

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 162990
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs): 19
DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 35

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: msmpeng.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 668
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 123
Number of processes hit: 28

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 5.359638
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 121300.165094
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 2.444968
CPU 0 ISR count: 67871
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 121367.231132
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 2.766043
CPU 0 DPC count: 151907
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.392558
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 72763.985554
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.250349
CPU 1 ISR count: 5493
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 189.1250
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.042499
CPU 1 DPC count: 3405
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.396830
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 70366.212854
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.162140
CPU 2 ISR count: 744
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 72730.005601
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.156607
CPU 2 DPC count: 1278
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.984657
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 48508.633255
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.051116
CPU 3 DPC count: 698
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.941340
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR count: 0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 24320.022995
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.066860
CPU 4 DPC count: 4185
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.913088
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR count: 0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 58.058373
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.000981
CPU 5 DPC count: 219
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.901110
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR count: 0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 24233.744104
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0.031261
CPU 6 DPC count: 885
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.944428
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR count: 0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 70.813384
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.003559
CPU 7 DPC count: 467

Jun 16, 2024
I only have an ethernet cable, mouse, keyboard and headphones connected via 3.5mm jacks
I don't have any external storage and also no sound cards.
Current PC:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H61M-S1
Memory: DDR3 16GB (2 x 8 GB), Slot 1: TwinMOS, Slot 2: Patriot Memory
Storage: 1 TB HDD
Storage: 120 GB SSD
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 OCV2 edition
Power Supply: Deep Cool DA700 700W
version: 22H2
OS Build: 19045.4529
Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19058.1000.0
Mouse: Logitech G403 Hero
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow

I hope this is enough.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I only have an ethernet cable, mouse, keyboard and headphones connected via 3.5mm jacks
how old are the USB devices?

do they have their own software?

I doubt its the headphones unless they are USB. If they are, could be their drivers.

USB port are controlled by windows but each device might have its own software.

Jun 16, 2024
Hey, just a quick update! Errrr, I have no effing idea how, but it seems my PC magically fixed by itself...? Fully?? Whatever I do, it keeps working smoothly like before. I literally did nothing, lol. Soo uhhh, yeah, I guess problem solved!! Haha...