Question DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD On Windows 11 ?

Mar 24, 2022
Hiya folks,

I'm here posting on behalf of a friend of mine trying to figure out why her PC is repeatedly blue screening. There no was no issue with the PC until the OS was updated to Windows 11. It's a prebuilt PC purchased from Costco. I'm leaning towards the fact that an outdated driver might be the root cause of the BSODs.

I ran the minidump files through WhoCrashed and this is the output:

On Wed 23-Mar-22 8:36:59 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: 032222-7156-01.dmp (Minidump)

Bugcheck code: 0x133(0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF80721B05330, 0x0)

Bugcheck name: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Driver or module in which error occurred: intelppm.sys (intelppm+0x153f)

File path: C:\windows\System32\drivers\intelppm.sys

Description: Processor Device Driver

Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Company: Microsoft Corporation

Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).

Analysis: This is likely caused by a hardware problem, but there is a possibility that this is caused by a misbehaving driver.
This bugcheck indicates that a timeout has occurred. This may be caused by a hardware failure such as a thermal issue or a bug in a driver for a hardware device.
Read this article on thermal issues
A full memory dump will likely provide more useful information on the cause of this particular bugcheck. The crash took place in a Microsoft module. The description of the module may give a hint about a non responding device in the system.

Attached the three minidump files here!

Note: I posted the issue on Reddit techsupport and got this response from a user.

Colif

Win 11 Master
intelppm.sys is a Microsoft driver, its purpose is to talk to the CPU
updating BIOS and Intel management Engine Interface might fix it,
I just need to figure out which model you have, I know you have a Lenovo Legion 5 but they have model numbers like (just an example) 26amr5 as it will make it easier to find drivers. their website has an auto update function which will look for drivers you need to update.
https://support.lenovo.com/au/en/do...-7-32-bit-64-bit-desktop-notebook-workstation
it does windows 11 too.

I can find your PC but finding the code I need to access driver website is alluding me.

Mar 24, 2022
intelppm.sys is a Microsoft driver, its purpose is to talk to the CPU
updating BIOS and Intel management Engine Interface might fix it,
I just need to figure out which model you have, I know you have a Lenovo Legion 5 but they have model numbers like (just an example) 26amr5 as it will make it easier to find drivers. their website has an auto update function which will look for drivers you need to update.
https://support.lenovo.com/au/en/do...-7-32-bit-64-bit-desktop-notebook-workstation
it does windows 11 too.

I can find your PC but finding the code I need to access driver website is alluding me.

Sorry for the delayed response Colif, it was quite difficult getting a hold of my friend lately.

But I managed to figure out what model number the Legion PC is. Vantage specifies that it is the 'Legion T5 28IMB05' with the product number of '90NC00JBUS'.

Let me know if you need any further information!

i might suspect this driver:
SnapCameraVirtualDevice.sys
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\SnapCameraVirtualDevice.sys Mon Mar 25 10:02:57 2019

basically in the timeout I was looking at it was all in the graphics systems
like some signal never made it to the proper driver.
I would remove the above driver using autoruns.exe to disable it
Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
or see if you can find a updated version.

the potential drivers involved were: the nvidia graphics drivers, the microsoft directx drivers and the acpi driver. That leaves you with updating the gpu drivers, the motherboard bios and motherboard drivers fixing or updating anything that can mess up the GPU driver (snapcameravirturaldevice.sys)

also, it looked like you had two virus scanners installed. This sometimes cause delays.

looks like you are missing some critical motherboard driver updates :
desktops and all in ones :: legion series :: legion t5 28imb05 :: 90nc - Lenovo Support US
intel platform thermal management drivers.
you should look at the 3 driver packages and update them
desktops and all in ones :: legion series :: legion t5 28imb05 :: 90nc - Lenovo Support US
the chipset update would be the only one that could effect this problem. unless it was caused by overheating.
the ME update is to prevent certain virus attacks on the intel linux cpu core embedded in the CPU package.

Last edited: