DRAM Crash, Less Useable Ram

chrishoky

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hello All,

I am new so please bear with me. I ordered a computer from Cyberpower, and like most have had trouble contacting there customer service. Anyhow, I need some help.

As the computer came to my house, there was no windows installed because I planned to install myself. I turned the computer on and got the error "detecting Dram size" then the system would crash about 3 times before booting up.

I installed windows 7 ultimate once I got it rolling.

Once inside windows, the computer states I have 24gb of ram installed, but only 8bg useable. Any ideas why?

I also tested multiple versions of my memory. With only one stick installed the system boots fine without the "dram size" error. It also states in windows that i have 4 gb installed and 4 gbs useable.

Any ideas? Is the ram voltage wrong?

Could one of the memory sticks be bad? I would assume not since windows recognizes all 24gb.

Here is my system specs

Intel(R) Core™ i7-980 3.33 GHz Six Cores 12M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
24GB (4GBx6) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
GigaByte GA-X58A-OC
800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply
VIDIA GeForce GTX 570

Check your bios settings for "memory mapping" or "unganged" and be sure one or both are enabled. You may also find another ram setting that you could play with; often the ram is detected too slow; that's adjustable on some boards in manual mode.

chrishoky

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I just looked over my bios and found neither of these options that you mentioned. I did notice that the voltage of the ram is 1.5V which is what is printed on the outside of the ram on the label.

I did notice in the BIOS that the system sees all 24gb of ram as being installed, but it seems that only 2 of the DIMM slots are enabled? I didnt see any options of open up more DIMM slots.

Does anyone have any ideas?