[SOLVED] DRAM light has come on and monitors don't detect anything since I reinstalled my RAM sticks

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016
I have been having issues with performance and realised only one of my RAM sticks was being detected. I took them both out, gave them a wipe (clean) and reinstalled them in the exact same positions. Turned my PC on and the monitors refuse to show anything. I've tried moving the RAM around to every possible combination of slots (as there are 4 and I have 2 8GB sticks), I've tried removing GPU and resetting the CMOS by removing motherboard battery... still nothing. Computer turns on but no detection. The DRAM light on the motherboard has been lit up in orange since I've started but I googled fixes and nothing has worked. I'm truly stuck.

My spec
NZXT CA-S340MB-GR Tower
ASUS LGA 1151 STRIX Z270E Mobo
EVGA 650W PSU
Intel Core i7-7700K CPU
Cryorig CR-H7A Cooler
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
RTX 2070

Last edited:
Solution
I agree. Anything invested in this system's current platform would be a waste of money, ie, motherboard or CPU, etc., so if you have to spend money anyhow I'd definitely recommend putting it towards a newer platform.
Did you try using only ONE DIMM, in the A2 slot, which is the second to the right from the CPU socket? And then the other one, in the A2 slot, to see if it is simply a dead module?

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016
Did you try using only ONE DIMM, in the A2 slot, which is the second to the right from the CPU socket? And then the other one, in the A2 slot, to see if it is simply a dead module?

I've tried both and both times the DRAM light was still on and nothing showed up on the monitor. I've been thinking about upgrading my RAM anyway but what if it's a problem with the motherboard?

Most likely, it IS a problem with the board.

Have you recently messed with the CPU or CPU cooler at all? Sometimes if the CPU cooler gets installed so that there is not equal pressure all the way around the socket, like when a corner or a side is looser than the other(s), it will cause some pins to break contact and will act as though there is a problem with the RAM when there isn't. So that's always worth checking first because sometimes it can happen accidentally. Make sure the mounting hardware is all installed correctly and that it is fully and evenly tightened.

If you've had the CPU out at some point prior to this problem beginning, then I'd go back and check to see that there are no bent pins on the motherboard. If you've always had issues, I'd take a look as well.

If you have access to another memory kit that is compatible, you can try that, but the chances of TWO DIMMs suddenly just not working are very unlikely. A failure on the board is more likely.

Also, it could be a power delivery issue. What is the ACTUAL model of your EVGA 650w PSU and how long has that PSU been in service?

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016
Most likely, it IS a problem with the board.

Have you recently messed with the CPU or CPU cooler at all? Sometimes if the CPU cooler gets installed so that there is not equal pressure all the way around the socket, like when a corner or a side is looser than the other(s), it will cause some pins to break contact and will act as though there is a problem with the RAM when there isn't. So that's always worth checking first because sometimes it can happen accidentally. Make sure the mounting hardware is all installed correctly and that it is fully and evenly tightened.

If you've had the CPU out at some point prior to this problem beginning, then I'd go back and check to see that there are no bent pins on the motherboard. If you've always had issues, I'd take a look as well.

If you have access to another memory kit that is compatible, you can try that, but the chances of TWO DIMMs suddenly just not working are very unlikely. A failure on the board is more likely.

Also, it could be a power delivery issue. What is the ACTUAL model of your EVGA 650w PSU and how long has that PSU been in service?
I haven't moved the CPU at all since I installed it a few years ago. I literally just opened it up to remove and replace the RAM sticks as only 1 was registering and now neither apparently work... so I think you're right about it being the mobo. I may as well just upgrade everything at this point because changing the motherboard over will be a huge hassle and I have been planning to slowly upgrade everything anyway.

I'll check the CPU but I did check all fixtures and wires on one of my tries and everything seemed sturdy and all connected up so idk. The motherboard having a fault seems like the most likely issue.

I'm not sure what the actual model is but it's been in use since 2017/18 (can't remember the year). I upgraded my GPU from GTX 1070 to RTX 2070 a year or so ago so the increase in power usage may have caused that to become faulty?

I have been having issues with performance and realised only one of my RAM sticks was being detected. I took them both out, gave them a wipe (clean) and reinstalled them in the exact same positions. Turned my PC on and the monitors refuse to show anything. I've tried moving the RAM around to every possible combination of slots (as there are 4 and I have 2 8GB sticks), I've tried removing GPU and resetting the CMOS by removing motherboard battery... still nothing. Computer turns on but no detection. The DRAM light on the motherboard has been lit up in orange since I've started but I googled fixes and nothing has worked. I'm truly stuck.

My spec
NZXT CA-S340MB-GR Tower
ASUS LGA 1151 STRIX Z270E Mobo
EVGA 650W PSU
Intel Core i7-7700K CPU
Cryorig CR-H7A Cooler
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
RTX 2070
Make it smaller.
Remove the gpu.
Unplug all disk and disc.
One stick of ram in the proper slot.....see the manual.
If no help try the other stick of ram.