[SOLVED] DRAM light showing on Mobo

JML987

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
Before we start, I have tried 99% of the troubleshooting I’ve seen.

I decided to upgrade everything on my pc except for my gpu and ssd.

My build:
Gtx 1060 6gb
Samsung 500gb ssd
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Mobo - rog strix x470-f gaming
Ram - Corsair vengeance RGB pro
650 psu.

Before I start, I’ve also bought new other parts which I’ve tried, which is other ram sticks - coralsair vengeance lpx and another mobo - Aorus b450 elite.

The issue is when I turn the power on my pc, with nothing connected but my psu and monitor, nothing happens on the monitor and only the dram light comes on my mobo. All the fans such as the case, psu and cpu all come on fine, and the rgb of the mobo and ram sticks light up as well, but i can’t get anything to show on my monitor at all.

Like I said, I’m fairly certain it’s not a ram or mobo issue I’m having right now, as I’ve purchased 2 of each and mix and matched the ram with both. I’ve tried 1 ram stick in each slot, I’ve done this with all 4 sticks of ram on both mobos. I’ve tried removing the cmos for 5 minutes and nothing changed. I’ve loosened the screws on both mobos, I’ve double checked to make sure nothing is touching the back of each mobo in the case.

I’m not sure if the cpu or psu can be responsible for Tempe dram light? Which I find hard to believe since both power on fine and everything on the mobo fan/light wise is working.

I really need help with this issue

Solution
Firstly, I assume you have updated the BIOS on both boards to be able to take the 3600X? The X470 you have needs BIOS 4804 to run the 3600X? The boards are not necessarily compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box.

after that:
It can be various things really - as a first port of call, I recommend you go through this guide in it's entirety: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Also, what exact make and model PSU is it?
Have you checked the CPU and CPU pins for damage (Would say socket too, but you've changed motherboards)?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Firstly, I assume you have updated the BIOS on both boards to be able to take the 3600X? The X470 you have needs BIOS 4804 to run the 3600X? The boards are not necessarily compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box.

after that:
It can be various things really - as a first port of call, I recommend you go through this guide in it's entirety: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Have you checked the CPU and CPU pins for damage (Would say socket too, but you've changed motherboards)?

Solution

JML987

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

after that:

How do I even update the bios if I can’t boot my pc?

I did go through the list before posting, which is why I’m thinking it may be a cpu/psu issue?

My psu is a Corsair VS650.

JML987

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
You have to do this before inserting a newer CPU.
The Motherboard needs a BIOS compatible CPU first to update the BIOS (apart from some MSI ones that do CPU-less update).

Covered here in point 2: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

I’m sorry to bug, but what are my options? Say it is the bios, how would I update it since I no longer have my previous pc? I’m not sure how to know which version it is..

Would it be to buy a cheap cpu that’s compatible straight out the box, boot it up update then install the new cpu?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I’m sorry to bug, but what are my options? Say it is the bios, how would I update it since I no longer have my previous pc? I’m not sure how to know which version it is..

Would it be to buy a cheap cpu that’s compatible straight out the box, boot it up update then install the new cpu?
AMD do release boot kits that can be used to temporarily update the BIOS.
Some motherboards come with CPU-less BIOS update, but I believe it's only MSI ones at the moment or latest chipset.
You could always borrow a cheap CPU, or a local shop may be able to do it for you.

JML987

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

This resolved it. The mobo needed to be updated. I had to purchase a cheap cpu compatible out the box, update it then install the 3600X.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: PC Tailor