DRAM Prices Soar Despite Large Oversupply

Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think it depends on how the market plays out. I doubt it will go up too much as research has been put into cheap high volume ram going passed what many motherboards can hold.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]crockdaddy[/nom]I am betting some of these asshat companies will be investigated again.[/citation]

Bingo! I think this is another case of price manipulation. Sure, a company has gone out of business or is 'planning' on going out of business... but there is NO reason why that should have an IMMEDIATE effect on the prices of DRAM... NONE!

restrain_oligopolies

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Current prices are so much lower than 2 years ago that memory purchases are way above 2 years ago.
A dozen years ago, I bought memory for $40 a megabyte,
feeling like royalty with 8 megabytes.
The amount of memory I put in my computers today, 2 gigabytes,
a dozen years ago would have cost
$80,000.
For the cost of 8 megabytes a dozen years ago,
I could now buy about 30 gigabytes DDR2.
If my motherboard could take 30 gigabytes and
if a 64-bit operating system would run all my software,
I would install 30 gigabytes of memory.
I don't buy more memory because my hardware and software will not accommodate more memory.
For me, the main issue is not the price of memory, but the ability of hardware and software to accommodate more memory.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
DRAM prices remind me a bit of gas prices. Let's see. Cost per barrel of oil keeps dropping, yet my cost per gallon is .55 more than two months ago?? Hmmm .. .magically the US refiners all had to do maintenance at the same time. Collusion? Maybe, maybe not ... I'm just saying. Asshats ....

I do agree with restrain_oligopolies ..... RAM prices are not my main complaint. Owning a motherboard that would actually accomodate 16 GB of RAM is somewhat difficult to do. If only I could get a board with 8 banks open lol then I could easily score 16 GB for a few hundred bucks @ 2GB dimm sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.