Drive c on nvme raid 0 (solved using only 1 ssd)

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
1 tb ssd drive c, 2x "new" 480gb nvme ssd's

I want to run windows 10 in raid 0, please don't comment about why raid 0 this is a tread about how to do it not why raid 0.

if i combine both nvme's into one i can't install my drive c i have on my samsung ssd, since my nvme ssd's become dynamic and you can't install windows on dynamic drives.

1 tb nvme is so much more expensive so i just can't buy 1tb ssd

How do i do it?

Solution

Just follow the instruction on the first link. The Windows 8 "Change to RAID mode from AHCI mode and vice versa" should also work from the second link. They are both the same procedure. One just uses the command prompt. The second uses MSCONFIG for a GUI interface.

No, you can't install to a dynamic disk.

If you don't have a backup. You should have one. While the linked instructions should be safe. Whenever messing with boot settings Murphy's Law can always go into effect. You should always have a backup anyway.

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
if i do it in the bios i can't boot into windows, mb is an Asus Tuf Z370-pro-gaming

When i did it from a small samsung ssd to a larger one i could just use samsungs own software and it was so easy, it only works with samsung ssd's and it can't create raid 0.

I don't wnat to use my nvme ssd's (x2) for games, i think it's a waste compare to using them for windows, bennefit from the speed is more used for windows than games.

That's a problem when you switch to RAID in the BIOS. Since you are installing Windows on the SSD. It should not matter as the new install should be bootable. The problem is the loaded drivers. The following link should help get Windows to rescan for drivers. It should work going RAID to AHCI or AHCI to RAID.

https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncategorized/solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/
https://www.overclock.net/forum/20-hard-drives-storage/1227636-how-change-sata-modes-after-windows-installation.html

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
I certainly don't wnat to install windows from scratch.

How about my 2 nvme being dynamic i can't install windows on something that is dynamic ssd's

Uodate i se the last link is for windows 7 and 8 im on windows 10

Just follow the instruction on the first link. The Windows 8 "Change to RAID mode from AHCI mode and vice versa" should also work from the second link. They are both the same procedure. One just uses the command prompt. The second uses MSCONFIG for a GUI interface.

No, you can't install to a dynamic disk.

If you don't have a backup. You should have one. While the linked instructions should be safe. Whenever messing with boot settings Murphy's Law can always go into effect. You should always have a backup anyway.

Solution