Question Drive cabinet - Win extended drive issue

New User 337

Distinguished
May 17, 2015
My system was intermittently losing the connection between the PC and drive cabinet. It seemed to be overwhelmed when using Capture One, DaVinci Resolve, Affinity Photo etc. using data from a Mediasonic 5 bay drive cabinet connected via eSATA (Rocket Raid). The connection alarm would go off and I would have to reboot the PC.

The cabinet has two 16t drives, two 10t drives and one 9t drive. each 16t drive is paired with a 10t drive using Win 10 drive extender for two 26t virtual drives. It always recovered and I just put up with it. More recently the system will boot but not recognize the virtual drives.

It will:

go to the rocket RAID pre-boot screen scan for the cabinet and drives, see one physical drive, boot. No cabinet drives show up in file explorer or device manager. Everything else seems to work fine.

At this point I'm pretty sure its the driver, card, or configuration (very likely configuration) .

I am ok to go one of two ways with this.

1. uninstall and reinstall the cabinet drivers etc to get a still slow but stable connection.

2. Purchase a new drive cabinet that uses a USB C connection and transfer my existing drives to it. I've been looking to upgrade the cabinet anyway.

My question{s} is:

For either alternative, what will happen to the windows extended drives? Will they survive the changes? If windows preserves the "connection" between the two virtual/extended drives, great. If not I will need to take further precautions/actions. Any other suggestions/alternatives welcome. Thanks in advance

System specs:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎10/‎24/‎2021
OS build 19045.2364
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

New User 337

Distinguished
May 17, 2015
UPDATE
After I submitted my issue. I realized I could use a couple of empty drive bays in my PC to test whether the extended drives would persist outside of the drive cabinet. I connected them, rebooted the PC and they are fine. No corruption or other issues.

I still have the drive cabinet issue. Any suggestions etc. would be very much appreciated.

New User 337

Distinguished
May 17, 2015
UPDATE 2

After realizing my extended drives were not cabinet dependent, I deleted the cabinet drivers and reinstalled them. Most of my connection issues are resolved. HOWEVER, when I copy a large number of files (100K+) the system will copy at about 150MB/s but periodically trend to zero then resume copying after a couple of seconds. Also, after an hour or two of copying the PC seems to lose the connection to the cabinet and sounds a very annoying alarm. Am I running over some Win 10 limit or buffer? How would I problem solve a to a root issue? Thanks.