[SOLVED] Drive causing explorer crashes and other problems!

Hope this is the right area to post about this, This all started after returning from a trip and after restarting my pc for a unrelated issue, I noticed anytime I opened explorer it would go slooooow and eventually it would freeze however this wasnt anything new to me as it happens occasionally with windows 10 so I ignored it for a bit but noticed that one of my drives was at 100% usage while doing nothing. I eventually made the decision to restart my pc and after doing so it was taking forever to start up and eventually a message came up alerting me that a check disk operation will commence on the disk if I didn't press any keys and being naïve I let it begin without question. I soon realized that this may take a few hours and was bummed but whatever, I went and did some chores around the house and came back to see the progress at 5% of stage 1 with an ETA of 30hrs, I was furious and distraught and after some time googling I decided to take the risk and turn off the pc and try booting again.

After booting, I skipped the check disk by pressing a key and after logging in I immediately pulled up the explorer to check the status of my drive and the G: drive was there as a "local drive" but blank and then I tried opening it and that brought an error that I unfortunately dont remember but soon after the explorer started bugging out and showing other drives as blank and eventually crashing, I then received a notification in the bottom right saying "click here to restart and repair drives". I was wary at first given the earlier experiences but feeling without options I clicked it and it slowly restarted. However before I was able to see the login screen the check disk operation started without warning and that's where I lost it, I gave it a few hours and I was still making it to 5% of stage 1 but not making it much further. I then tried turning it off a couple times seeing if I could skip it but I was never able to. Eventually, I decided to try booting into safe mode and after reaching the menu to do so I clicked restart and as I was gaining hope that I'd see the desktop again it again started the check disk with no opportunity to prevent it. At that point I was broken and gave up for a bit and let it run for 5 hours and eventually came back to see it still at 5% of stage 1 with an ETA of 140hrs.

I regained some hope after seeing a command that might disable the auto check disk but after putting it in to cmd through the auto repair menu and restarting it didn't work. So then I had one last idea and I tried taking out the drive causing all the issues and my pc booted fine after trying and failing to fix a disk that didn't exist for a brief second. However there remains a problem I have stuff on that 2tb drive that's pretty important to me so regaining use of it is important. I then plugged the drive in while logged in and it is recognized and I can see my files but it is still causing issues, anytime I am doing something related to that drive explorer is chugging and freezing, but I can see and interact with my files again, But I have noticed some folders give a warning that it is missing or corrupted. At this point I am asking for help as I don't know what I should do, do I run a chkdsk while I am logged in so that no matter how long it takes I can atleast use my pc? do I attempt to transfer my files to a new drive? what do I do?

Solution
Hope this is the right area to post about this, This all started after returning from a trip and after restarting my pc for a unrelated issue, I noticed anytime I opened explorer it would go slooooow and eventually it would freeze however this wasnt anything new to me as it happens occasionally with windows 10 so I ignored it for a bit but noticed that one of my drives was at 100% usage while doing nothing. I eventually made the decision to restart my pc and after doing so it was taking forever to start up and eventually a message came up alerting me that a check disk operation will commence on the disk if I didn't press any keys and being naïve I let it begin without question. I soon realized that this may take a few hours and was...
Hope this is the right area to post about this, This all started after returning from a trip and after restarting my pc for a unrelated issue, I noticed anytime I opened explorer it would go slooooow and eventually it would freeze however this wasnt anything new to me as it happens occasionally with windows 10 so I ignored it for a bit but noticed that one of my drives was at 100% usage while doing nothing. I eventually made the decision to restart my pc and after doing so it was taking forever to start up and eventually a message came up alerting me that a check disk operation will commence on the disk if I didn't press any keys and being naïve I let it begin without question. I soon realized that this may take a few hours and was bummed but whatever, I went and did some chores around the house and came back to see the progress at 5% of stage 1 with an ETA of 30hrs, I was furious and distraught and after some time googling I decided to take the risk and turn off the pc and try booting again.

After booting, I skipped the check disk by pressing a key and after logging in I immediately pulled up the explorer to check the status of my drive and the G: drive was there as a "local drive" but blank and then I tried opening it and that brought an error that I unfortunately dont remember but soon after the explorer started bugging out and showing other drives as blank and eventually crashing, I then received a notification in the bottom right saying "click here to restart and repair drives". I was wary at first given the earlier experiences but feeling without options I clicked it and it slowly restarted. However before I was able to see the login screen the check disk operation started without warning and that's where I lost it, I gave it a few hours and I was still making it to 5% of stage 1 but not making it much further. I then tried turning it off a couple times seeing if I could skip it but I was never able to. Eventually, I decided to try booting into safe mode and after reaching the menu to do so I clicked restart and as I was gaining hope that I'd see the desktop again it again started the check disk with no opportunity to prevent it. At that point I was broken and gave up for a bit and let it run for 5 hours and eventually came back to see it still at 5% of stage 1 with an ETA of 140hrs.

I regained some hope after seeing a command that might disable the auto check disk but after putting it in to cmd through the auto repair menu and restarting it didn't work. So then I had one last idea and I tried taking out the drive causing all the issues and my pc booted fine after trying and failing to fix a disk that didn't exist for a brief second. However there remains a problem I have stuff on that 2tb drive that's pretty important to me so regaining use of it is important. I then plugged the drive in while logged in and it is recognized and I can see my files but it is still causing issues, anytime I am doing something related to that drive explorer is chugging and freezing, but I can see and interact with my files again, But I have noticed some folders give a warning that it is missing or corrupted. At this point I am asking for help as I don't know what I should do, do I run a chkdsk while I am logged in so that no matter how long it takes I can atleast use my pc? do I attempt to transfer my files to a new drive? what do I do?
Don't run checkdisk or anything that writes to disk until you try to recover files.
One of best
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/recuva_portable.html
First make sure you have enough space on anther drive yo want to save files to.
PS. It may take long time (hours or even days) depending on size and damage done to files.

Solution
Don't run checkdisk or anything that writes to disk until you try to recover files.
One of best
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/recuva_portable.html
First make sure you have enough space on anther drive yo want to save files to.
PS. It may take long time (hours or even days) depending on size and damage done to files.
Damn, guess I gotta get another 2tb drive then. In the meantime, if anyone has any other suggestions or tips I would very much appreciate it.

also sidenote, until I'm able to recover my files, I shouldn't keep my drive plugged in right? I don't imagine having it spin more than it needs to is a good idea

Update, using recuva, and it's been running a few hours and its still on stage 1 of the scan with an eta of 15 hours. It's progressing 1% about every 15-30 minutes. Is this normal for a 2tb drive or should I be doing something else?

I've started a copy of a 15mb file, so far after 3 min no luck. 0% and still calculating time. I'll mention as well that I was able to use recuva to recover my password manager file which was the most important thing just incase I'm unable to recover everything.

also everytime I load a folder it takes like 2-3 minutes and some folders never load and some show as empty. And quite often all this causes explorer to freeze

USAFRet

Titan
I've started a copy of a 15mb file, so far after 3 min no luck. 0% and still calculating time. I'll mention as well that I was able to use recuva to recover my password manager file which was the most important thing just incase I'm unable to recover everything.

also everytime I load a folder it takes like 2-3 minutes and some folders never load and some show as empty. And quite often all this causes explorer to freeze
That sounds like a failing drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Well I havent tried hddsuperclone yet as its a linux thing and i'm a newbie when it comes to that and it looks kinda confusing. However I tried Macrium reflect to see if i could clone with that and no luck.
When encountering bad sectors on the source drive, Macrium will almost certainly just give up.

HDDSuperClone may work through that.

What level of effort is the data on this drive worth to you?