Question Drive showing in BIOS but not Device Manager and Disk Mgmt* (after reset)

vvt72277

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
I have a strange situation where, as the title indicates, the drive does not show up in Windows 10 but is in the BIOS. What it is interesting is that if I interrupt the POST and step into the BIOS, and then proceed to launch Win10, the drive shows up (and then the Device Manager shows no issues with AHCI drivers - normally two or three). However, if I do an immediate reboot thereafter (and not step into BIOS) the drive does not appear and Device Manager posts the issue exclamation mark. And this identical behavior occurs as I use AHCI, RAID, IDE, and Disabled as option in the BIOS SATA Configuration. Drive does not show up, I reset step into BIOS (sometimes changing nothing), drive appears, I try a reset without stepping to BIOS, and the drive does not appear.

I have been through several threads on this and the solutions don't quite work for me.

So when the drive does not appear, the Standard SATA AHCI Controller shows the exclamation point in Device Manager and I receive the "This device cannot start. (Code 10) An I/O adapter hardware error has occurred." status in the driver. I do not know if this helps, but I figured I mention. I also have two (sometimes 3) Standard SATA ACHI Controller entries in the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section, and it is always just one that is not functioning properly when this behavior occurs.

I have tried to go to the ASUS website and manually install many drivers but to no avail.

Here is some more system info and specs that may assist you in assisting me:

• Windows 10 (64-bit), which I installed last night on this machine from Windows 7 -- yes, I am a little late to the party(?) but I finally arrived to be greeted with issues.
  • 3 Hard Drives ==> C: Samsung 2TB SSD, D: Seagate 8TB HDD, E: Seagate 2TB HDD
  • Mobo is a Sabertooth X79 with version 2.14.2019 BIOS

Can someone please help me? Thank you in advance.