Driver causes BSOD.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Er I don't know much about IRQ channels but you shouldn't have two devices on the same channel right?

I just noticed the network card I plugged in has the same ICQ as one of the two 'High Definition Audio Controller's in system devices in device manager.

Does that matter?

So can I close the other thread then or do you want it merged with this one?

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
hmm under the IDE ATA / ATAPI controllers the nvidia nforce serial ata controller has exactly the same ICQ as the USB controllers standard openHCD USB host controller as well.

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
IDE ATA / ATAPI Controllers

My NFORCE Serial ATA controller = 22
A 2nd NFORCE Serial ATA controller = 23

usb cONTROLLERS
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller = 22
Standard openHCD USB host controller = 23

0.O

Is it normal to have duplicate ICQ channels?

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Alas I have done this before, those exact drivers are on this build.

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I did try the card in the second slot even though it's x8 as far as I know but I got no signal output from it at all.

I should point out that I've suspected all along that there is an 'issue' with the board and this card, however I've lived under the assumption that since I could sometimes get it to boot, there must be some file to replace or edit or some voltage to tweak somewhere that will make it all sing and dance.

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Maybe the real question should be what allows something not to work most of the time but restarts from safemode/turning it off/on allow it to boot 'sometimes' ?

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Does anyone know what vga.sys actually does? without guessing?

Also can it not find NDProxy.sys because it's ndproxy.sys or woulf it not be case sensitive?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
the motherboard colud be giving power for a moment then when the card drain to much make the machine shut itself to protect the 6959 need a 75 watt socket check in your bios the power that the pci-e slot could support

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I've also noticed recently that sometimes it bluescreens, sometimes it just goes black, sometimes it goes black an sticks, sometimes it just freezes on the windows logo. Sometimes it reboots automatically, sometimes it doesn't.

Is that a power issue with the board ?

Also in device manager hidden none-plug and play devices has a yellow !
exclamation mark against

'Security Processor Loader Driver' (!)

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Is that something like VCore offset voltage in my BIOS?

Which is set to auto atm or has an option for 100 mv 0.o

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Yes I always set it to PCI-E in the bios. As well as Plug & Play OS.

I'll try what you suggested lter tonight when I get home.

What confuses me slightly is I enable SLI in bios but when people ask me 'did you try the card in 2nd pci-e' slot? I did but it is never detected anywhere (nothing can see it) as a device and does literally nothing except spin its fan.

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
remove all ati driver and reload new one on desktop then restart computer and install new one from desktop

Actually, I'm not sure what you mean. Reload? If you mean uninstall and reinstall I've done that already, lots. Still I shall try once more.

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
No joy still.

If we stay on the suggestion it's a 'power issue' what do we mean? The board is senile and thinks the card is gobbling up too much. Is there something I can change to get around/test that theory?

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Interesting!

Ok since thinking about 'power' I tried the following:

Turned computer on with no 12v connectors to card at all. = No sigh of life.

Turned computer on with 8 pin connector only. = No sign of life.

....Turned computer on with 6 pin connector only = Black Screen. No Image. BUT It booted happily into windows!!! :pt1cable:

(I know because it didn't restart and the logon music played.

So, theories?

Is the PSU dying? (Though I did try with another power)

Is the board crap?

Is there a setting I can change?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
plug and play os do not need to be activate,since you already try the card in second and nothing work then the motherboard could not handle her ,suggest you this get your card and find a friend or someone that could test her in is mobo if they got signal from it then card is good if not card is out then rma.but if card is good then motherboard could not handle her

reorx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I have already tested it the card works 100%.

There is for certain nothing wrong with the card.

I have tested the card on another machine, it works. The card works.

Again I must state that I HAVE BOOTED IN THE PAST PERFECTLY and been playing
games etc for 3 days+ until I shut down the computer.

It is entirely possible for the board and card to work together, in harmony. I just don't know how.

Repeating latest development in case someone misses it:

....Turned computer on with 6 pin connector only = Black Screen. No Image. BUT It booted happily into windows!!! :)

(I know because it didn't restart and the logon music played).

So, theories?