Driver loading issue booting windows?

jamesro

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
this is hard to describe
I just upgraded to a 4670k and a gigabyte z87x-oc mb 4 x4gb ddr3 1600
I've carried across my existing logitech g15 gaming kb and steelseries xai mouse and still using windows 7 with my 7970ghz gpu

when the pc is first powered on you can see the g15 orange backlights light up during the boot & the kb can be used (access bios etc) and the boot to windows is FAST from my SSD...
but the issue occurs during the "loading windows" screen, where the lights on the kb drop out and im stuck with a waiting period of anywhere up to 40secs for my kb and mouse to start working again???

when I first installed windows there was no problem (i hadn't yet activated) and was going through the process of installing LAN driver, chipset driver, usb3.0 driver, GPU driver, realtek audio driver.
at some point during all the reboot sequences something went wrong

I spent hours uninstalling drivers one by one etc no on avail to identify the culprit

so I reformatted and installed. this time going through the activation and several long windows updates then loading the latest chipset drivers, lan drivers etc

now this time the boot goes through fine and this time though the welcome screen is replaced by a black one for about 40secs and the desktop loads with the last half of the welcome chime sounding being heard and the peripherals working (but still after the same amount of time waiting compared to the first scenario)

this is getting pretty frustrating

anyone got any ideas? is it a bios thing(the bios is on "optimized defaults)"? is it a windows 7 issue?
ideally the pc could probably boot to windows in about 20secs but the waiting period for the kb & mouse is really bugging me

Solution
Try thIs on page 54 of your mb guild turn fast boot to ultra setting for the fastest boot up speed. Then on page 57 xchi and echi. Try turning on echi see if tht helps on mouse speed handoff. If not try turning off leagacy USB support. Then xchi try turning that off see if it speeds up the mouse handoff.

jamesro

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
ok so i tested the boot with both the keyboard and mouse unplugged and then only KB d/c and then only mouse d/c

seems to be the mouse causing issues at this point in time...

when windows loaded and i d/c then reconnect the kb there is no delay in being able to use the device

when this is done to the mouse it takes about 15secs for movement to return.

not sure where to go from here. replace mouse (drivers have been updated)?

on a fresh install of win 7:
boot with just k/b connected is 22secs after pressing pwr button
boot with mouse connected 38secs after pressing pwr button

i know 15 secs wont kill me but this is very annoying knowing there is such an issue with what is meant to be one of the best gaming mice on the market (maybe not anymore)

Try thIs on page 54 of your mb guild turn fast boot to ultra setting for the fastest boot up speed. Then on page 57 xchi and echi. Try turning on echi see if tht helps on mouse speed handoff. If not try turning off leagacy USB support. Then xchi try turning that off see if it speeds up the mouse handoff.

Solution