Question HP Laserjet P1005 printer prints inverted color on Raspberry Pi cups printserver ?

May 7, 2024
Hi All,

I hope I got this in the right section....
I found this printer during cleanup with 2 unopened toners, so I wanted to put it to use instead of throwing it away.
I could not get it running on my Win11 desktop, so I prepared a printserver on a raspberry pi which I found instructions here for.
Cups is up and running, and with a lot of fiddling I got it to print. It required a proprietary plugin which I got using this command:
sudo hp-setup -i

The thing is that it prints inverted, so what should be white is black and vice versa. Other drivers like the foo2xqx from openprinting give me the "Filter Failed" error when printing.

Someone got an idea on how I could fix this?

this is how the testpage came out:

img_1505.jpeg

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Question: is the end purpose to have the printer working in a Windows' environment or a Raspberry Pi environment?

Or is the Raspberry Pi simply being used to "test" the printer?

Are you able to gain access to any of the printers' built in admin functions?

= = = =

This printer?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact/printer-serial-number

Serial number being necessary to obtain the applicable documentation and drivers.

The first issue is, I think, to figure out why the printer would not print via the Windows desktop.

How was the printer connected to the Windows 11 desktop?

My suggestion is to start with the printer's installation and User/Manual documentation.

And doublecheck that the correct Windows 11 printer drivers were downloaded from HP's actual website.

Objective being to determine if the printer will actually print normally - one way or another....

May 7, 2024
Hi , Thanks for the reply.. I wanted to quikly test it before opening a new toner, that's why I connected it over USB to my Win11 desktop.
My actual goal is to use it as a "air printer" (with the Pi as printserver) that the kids can print their school work on from their ipads or win11 laptops. They are now draining my expensive epson ink from the photoprinter :p...

The HP Laserjet p1005 is around 20yrs old, and has been in storage for at least 14yrs...

In my first try I downloaded HPPSde.exe (print & scan doctor) from the HP support site, but that didn't have the printer listed anymore. Then I changed on the HP support site the OS from Win11 to Win10, And it offered a driver package called ljp1000_1005-HB-pnp-win64-en.exe; after installing this the printer was recognized in the USB devices in the win11 device manager, but if I printed a file it would just hang in the waiting line with status "printing".

After that I unpacked the ljp1000_1005-HB-pnp-win64-en.exe with 7zip, and tried to install the printer manually using the "find my driver on disk" option and I selected there the unpacked HPLJP1005.INF file.
During that installation Windows pops up a failure "File not found" and the installation stops.
Thats where I gave up on the windows side.

To set up the printserver I followed the instructions here:
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/raspberry-pi-print-server

In the CUPS I configured the printer by adding the PPD file foo2xqx but that resulted in the "Filter failed" error while printing.
Next step I prepaared a clean SD with the latest "Bookworm" build for the PI, then I installed Ghostscript by SNAPS. There it offered me 3 options for drivers but still I couldn't print.
Then I found on some blog someone with similar problems which he solved by running sudo hp-setup -i
https://ramblingmoose.wordpress.com...d-a-proprietary-p1102w-print-driver-on-linux/

After this It prints a testpage, but inverted.
Then I added the networked p1005 to my Win11 desktop, and now it also prints a Windows testpage, also inverted.

Now the strangest part, I print a file from my iphone, it prints normal :oops:
I will later see if I can get something out of the HP support link you sent me, and I'll connect it again to my desktop over USB to see if I can get it printing from windows.

Seen that it still print very acceptable quality, I won't give up on this one.

Edit: I don't think the printer has built in admin functions.... there's no display ond only a ON/OFF button...

The link you provided brings me to the support page where I had downloaded the drivers myself earlyer, and I found out they don't provide any warranty anymore for this machine :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

ValdikSS

Commendable
Aug 16, 2021
@MaestroLmpio, make sure you have proper firmware for your printer. Here's a firmware for foo2zjs which is known to work.
https://files.catbox.moe/exvp45.dl
Rename the file to sihpP1005.dl and put it to /usr/lib/firmware/hp/ and uninstall hplip to not interfere with the loading procedure.

To debug foo2xqx, check CUPS logs in /var/log/cups. It could be you've followed old manuals which require manual installation, you don't need to do that, just apt install printer-driver-foo2zjs.