Driveres from GTX960 to GTX1060

dddmaniac

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018
Hello,

At the moment I'm using the GTX960, today has arrived my new GPU GTX1060. So I have a question.

Do I need to uninstall the actual Nvidia drivers (which are up to date) and all the stuff before installing the GTX1060?

Or should I just switch them without uninstalling/installing the drivers? I've heard that the Nvidia software will detect the new card and apply the correct drivers, but I'm not sure with this.

Thanks!

dddmaniac

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018

There is any good tutorial for how to do it?

above is fine, though I think cards that close in release would be bundled under the same driver package anyway.

If it was me I'd still do this:

1) DDU, then
2) start NVidia driver install but choose CUSTOM-> CLEAN option (to remove remaining files/settings)

If this were a switch from AMD to Nvidia I would consider a complete driver uninstall with something like DDU.

Going from Nvidia to Nvidia won't cause an issue. I wouldn't complicate the issue by an uninstall. I've done it before (970 to 1080 Ti) and I'll probably do it again.

dddmaniac

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018

So I have to:

a) download and install DDU (shall not uninstall anything of nvidia software and drivers?)
b) launch DDU, then select "Clean and Shutdown"
c) switch the GPU to GTX1060
d) start the computer and install newest Nvidia software and drivers (clean option?)

I'm right with the procedure?

dddmaniac

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018

Do you mean that nothingof DDU is needed in this case?

What he means is you probably wont have any issue just swapping the GPU. I have done it before too and did not have an issue either. But if you want to make sure that the drivers are good to go, then use the DDU tool. If after you make the swap and you have a driver corruption issue, then you can use the DDU too uninstall the corrupted drivers at that time if there is an issue.