[SOLVED] Driverless USB Header Controller

Mar 1, 2019
www.mooseboys.com
I have a case with four USB 3.0 front panel ports, but my motherboard only has one header, so I can only connect two of the ports directly. I know there are PCIE cards that offer extra headers, but the only ones I've found require additional drivers to be installed, which I want to avoid. Is there any device that can provide an additional USB 3.0 header without requiring additional drivers?

In case it's relevant, the mobo is the Asus Z390A Prime.

Mar 1, 2019
www.mooseboys.com

Thanks, that looks perfect! Surprised I didn't find anything like that on Amazon or Newegg. I assume there will be contention on transfer rates, but if I'm not using both devices simultaneously then they should get close to max speed, yes?

Also, do you know if there is any well-known difference in behavior for multi-device vs single-device connection? For example, if I try to boot to USB and have 2 drives connected to the same data bus, I could imagine the UEFI freaking out or just picking the first that enumerates.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
USB is all serial communication, so bandwidth will be effected as you use it.

It would just show up as two devices. What determines their order would not change.

Electrically this is no different then plugging in a USB dongle with many ports. Just that larger versions are often powered to prevent you from drawing too much current through any one port.