Question Drivers crash randomly, gives 4101 Event

Mar 15, 2019
Hey guys,

So for a few weeks I have been getting random crashes when playing games. At first I was a bit confused, as it seemed like some games would run no problem and some others would just crash with no warning, seemingly with no pattern.
By now I am quite sure, that the problem behind the symptoms isn't unique to any game but, instead, something that various games treat differently. It would appear, that my graphics drivers seem to randomly crash and come back within seconds. Some games "crash", meaning that I keep sound and sometimes can even play on but can not see anything except for a black screen, or sometimes a freeze screen of what I saw when the game crashed. Other times, the game seems to hang for a bit but then seems to catch itself and then just runs on as if nothing happened. And yet others don't even show any signs of trouble.

I have tried quite a few games, yet all seem to cause the same problem. Everything from low performance titles like Europa Universalis or Worms, to the more demanding Satisfactory or Slime Rancher, to titles that actually need some more power like Total War Warhammer, or Ark. They all cause this problems after mere minutes of playing. It does not coincide with an increase in temperature. The GPU (a GTX 1070) tends to have a stable 50°C when idling (which does seem a bit high. I will clean that out tomorrow.), yet it never rises above 65°C and certainly never reaches anything close to 70°C.

My RAM seems to be fully functioning. At least testing hasn't shown any corrupted areas.

I have not added any new parts to the PC that could have brought the consumption of energy above what my PSU can handle.

The SSD and HDD are brand new (installed even after the problems started) and I have already installed Windows anew, so it doesn't quite look like a software problem, though I might be wrong.

I wouldn't know of any changes that could have caused this. It would seem random.

I'd be very thankful if you could add some ideas towards this. I am at the end with ideas. I'll clean the PC out and take the GPU out to set it in anew, but I'm not sure if that'll help

Thanks for reading,
Rukk

EDIT:
I will add a few specs and further information here, as it was requested. Sorry for the inconvenience, I should have added these from the beginning.

I have a 630W PSU
GPU is a GTX 1070 from MSI, 8GB V-RAM
CPU is a FX-8350, not overclocked
Motherboard is a GA-78LMT-USB3 from Gigabyte. I believe it to be rev 4.1, but I can't say for sure. It certainly is on the latest BIOS Version.
I have 16GB of Ram, two each of two different makes, yet none of them run together, as they are inserted in parallel. They have been running for a while with (seemingly) no problems and a test has shown no corrupted segments. I do not believe that they are the problem, but I certainly am not sure about that and I certainly won't claim that that means too much. If you believe that they might yet be the problem, let me know.

I'm running Win10 Home on the latest version. The drivers for the GPU are up-to-date.

The problems started with no associated change in hardware.

I unfortunately have no access to other parts and so can not try to run with them.

Last edited:
PSU could be marginal at supplying the very wild (and near instantaneous) swings in power the 1070 might require....(most manufacturers recommend at least a 500 watt PSU for a GTX1070, but, certainly not all PSUs are equal in delivering stable power; additionally, the MB must be capable of supplying nearly 70-75 watts of power thru the PCI-e slot, and some old MBs cannot)

Do you have the correct 8 pin PCI-e power connected from a modern PSU, i.e., no adapters used? WHat brand/wattage PSU are you using?

Are you running any CPU overclocks or unusually high RAM speeds or potentially stringent RAM timings? If so, remove/relax them...

(Perhaps you could borrow some known good DDR3 or 4 RAM , as applicable, for your rig...as no one yet knows any other specs other than your GPU, it'd be hard to suggest where to go/what to try next...) :)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019
PSU could be marginal at supplying the very wild (and near instantaneous) swings in power the 1070 might require....(most manufacturers recommend at least a 500 watt PSU for a GTX1070, but, certainly not all PSUs are equal in delivering stable power; additionally, the MB must be capable of supplying nearly 70-75 watts of power thru the PCI-e slot, and some old MBs cannot)

Do you have the correct 8 pin PCI-e power connected from a modern PSU, i.e., no adapters used? WHat brand/wattage PSU are you using?

Are you running any CPU overclocks or unusually high RAM speeds or potentially stringent RAM timings? If so, remove/relax them...

(Perhaps you could borrow some known good DDR3 or 4 RAM , as applicable, for your rig...as no one yet knows any other specs other than your GPU, it'd be hard to suggest where to go/what to try next...) :)

I have added further information to the original post. Sorry for the information.

Specifically for you, the RAM is running on standard specs. The same for the CPU and GPU, no overclocking has been attempted. The CPU in specific doesn't run on the factory cooler, but instead has a Hyper 212 EVO installed on it.

The current setup has been practically unchanged for a few months and as far as I know these problems only have started rather recently. I have not suffered any BSODs since then. Only the drivers seem to crash.

EDIT: I forgot one question.
I am not using any adapters. My PSU is directly delivering through, I believe, 1 8-Pin and 1 6-Pin. Might be wrong with the specific stats, but it certainly has not adapter on the way. It has those adaptable cables that can be used as either 8 or 6-Pin themselves, by just pulling the 2 sidepins off.

It certainly isn't a brand PSU. I don't think that I can quite make out who it is from, it just says 630W Smart SE on its side. Sorry I can't offer more information there.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019
Have cleaned out the GPU, set it in and tested. First time after booting some fan went berzerk and was just going full power till I rebooted. Then, after the reboot it had seemed like everything was fine.

A day later the problem starts back up. Seems like that hasn't been the problem.

Could it be, that the PSU ist starting to fail and doesn't always give the necessary power? How would I test for that?