[SOLVED] Drivers + Firmware + BIOS + EUFI etc for New Build?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I’m wondering just how deep I should get into downloading and installing various different types of Drivers, Firmware, Utilities BIOS, EUFI, Audio stuff etc etc etc for things like CPU, Mobo, GPU, RAM etc etc etc?

I do want to set everything up to work as well as possible – but don’t want to accidentally do anything wrong?

Also like to know which things I need to switch/turn on/change in settings like the BIOS/EUFI ETC to get everything to work properly?

Eg – XMP for RAM is one thing I didn’t know about before… and I think there are some other things like this too? Is there something I need to turn on for my NVME’s in the BIOS/EUFI to make them work at their full potential?

This will be for Windows 11 Pro – and my pc is just for home use not work.
For Gaming, Music Production (Ableton 11) and watching Movies/TV and the usual daily stuff etc

In particular – I’d love some advice on the order in which I should install/update different things?

I’m putting together my new build – here are the parts:

Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro DDR4
Intel 12700K

4 x 8GB – Bought 2x Pairs
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18 Vengeance LPX 3600MHz DDR4 RAM

Gigabyte 3070 Ti Eagle OC

Be Quiet! Silent Base 802 Case
Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

Looks like there are NVME drivers and Magician software, data migration if you need it?
I haven’t used m.2’s before so I’m not sure if there is anything they’d need?

2 x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro

1 x 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus

MSI Optix 27in MAG274QRF-QD
https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG274QRF-QD/support

I’m a little worried I could screw up this new monitor if I install the wrong thing?
This only seems to have Win 10 drivers etc? Should I just use them anyway?

There don’t seem to be any drivers or software for the UPS which surprises me?
I think there is a CD or something in the box which I haven’t used yet… but I would have thought they’d have the latest drivers/software online?

CyberPower PRO 2200VA Tower 1980w LCD(PR2200ELCDSL)

Be quiet! Pure Wings 2
be quiet! 1000W Straight Power 11 80+ Gold
I assume there’s no software/drivers for the system fans and power supply?

I might get a mech kb and gaming mouse too – I assume they’ll have drivers software etc too?

I just got some Beyerdynamic 900 Pro X headphones – is there software/drivers I need to use and or update for something like that? I couldn’t see any?

There are way more things to download and isntall/update (just for the Motherboard alone) than I thought even existed! Don’t know what some of these are even?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-PRO-DDR4-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N307TEAGLE-OC-8GD/support#support-dl-driver

I would choose Game Ready Drivers as I plan to game a lot (I assume)?
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/184717/en-us

From what I can tell – there are no drivers or software for the RAM?
https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18#tab-faqs

Should I just install all of it? Same for the CPU and everything else?

Should I use the Video card drivers from Gigabyte or the ones straight from Nvidia? ( I want RT and DLSS etc)

Also – should I flash the BIOS?
Never done that – but the videos I’m watching all do it – but also stress you can brick the board if you mess up.

I think my motherboard can do this - but I don’t think there is a specific usb for it as I’ve seen on others? Does that mean I can use any USB?

Or have I got it wrong – can this not flash bios?

Anything else worth mentioning, things to do, things to definitely NOT do? Etc

Thanks for your help

Solution
WAY overthinking things.

It's simple, actually.

New built.

Clean install of Windows. Process should be pretty much the same for 11 as it is for 10. There might be minor differences but the process itself will be largely the same.

See here:

Then, go to the product page for your motherboard and download and install the latest available drivers for chipset, network adapters (LAN and WiFi, if equipped) and audio chipset.

These:

Audio: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...0.2306.zip?v=8d00d2ae8f4fb84435e7371dfabd263a

Chipset...
WAY overthinking things.

It's simple, actually.

New built.

Clean install of Windows. Process should be pretty much the same for 11 as it is for 10. There might be minor differences but the process itself will be largely the same.

See here:

Then, go to the product page for your motherboard and download and install the latest available drivers for chipset, network adapters (LAN and WiFi, if equipped) and audio chipset.

These:

Audio: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...0.2306.zip?v=8d00d2ae8f4fb84435e7371dfabd263a

Chipset: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...6.8283.zip?v=7be629af0a6b6f7f176db5bfe43a32ce

LAN: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...0.2.14.zip?v=77c5d63fd3f56cba787777cd4dd3dbbb

Also, check BIOS version and if not on the latest STABLE version, updating is a good idea.

Then, go to the Nvidia website and download the latest standard drivers based on the device. For you, should be this one.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/184717/en-us

Then, any other hardware or peripherals like keyboard, mouse, etc.., go to the product page and download and install those as well.

Then run through all available Windows updates until there are no relevant updates remaining, relevant or possible. Some use of judgement here is necessary as driver updates will either not be necessary because you will install manufacturer specific drivers, or will simply install behind the scenes for less obvious hardware like some onboard motherboard drivers which usually these days will be covered via the chipset drivers.

Should be common sense that after EACH and EVERY driver installation, whether it prompts you to do so or not, you SHOULD reboot, to fully ensure a solid driver implementation, before proceeding to the next driver installation. It's just a good practice to get into even when it doesn't require it though the installer routine.

UPS isn't actually part of the PC hardware, and is a separate entity, and generally doesn't require drivers. In fact, not sure I've EVER seen anything like that since they generally don't have an actual connection to the machine other than power.

Reactions: Lafong
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
BIOS - New PC, yes. Might as well be as up to date as possible.

updating it - I would have thought they show that in the manual but nope. Its not even in the BIOS setup pdf... but anyway, its here - https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/MicroSite/121/flashbios_qflash.pdf

Windows is pretty good, it will identify your hardware and try to download all the drivers it has for it from its update catalog
Once its installed, go to https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-PRO-DDR4-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver
You could install the App centre from under utilities as it can be used to update all the drivers on the motherboard
You probably don't want all the utilities, MB makers tend to offer a bunch of things you don't need.

mRsxroy.jpg

They will all be offered on the app centre, always helps to deselect everything in it before installing anything.

GPU - I would get the drivers from Nvidia as that is where Gigabyte get them anyway. I would only use the gigabyte ones if you have a problem later on, and want to test card.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hey Guys

@Darkbreeze
@Colif

Thanks for the info above... a few things I want to follow up on after this...

Regarding flashing/updating the BIOS - what are the main advantages of doing this? What does it change?
Is it only worth the risk because of a few specific scenarios?

Can I do a clean install, all the updates etc and then flash the bios any time I like or does it really need to be before you start it all?

Or can you only do it on a bare motherboard - no ram etc?

Can you check the BIOS out of the box by just plugging in the PSU, KB, Mouse and a monitor and nothing else?
I assume you need the CPU too?

Do you need a drive of some sort plugged in even if not formatted and no windows?

Is that how you find out what version it is before you decide if it needs flashing?

Can you damage your pc components somehow or only damage the motherboard with flashing?

Can you advise me on the order/process for installing things like antivirus, win 11, when to have internet disabled or enabled for a Clean Win 11 install? Keeping in mind that I've only used Win 8.1 last time around.

I don't want to get virus' while trying to install things - so want to be careful?

And should I install all Win updates first, and then other drivers for my gear or other way round?
I had thought you were supposed to do all the Win updates first as some other drivers might need them to install properly?

Should be common sense that after EACH and EVERY driver installation, whether it prompts you to do so or not, you SHOULD reboot, to fully ensure a solid driver implementation

I had kind of wondered about this... but god that must take forever?

UPS isn't actually part of the PC hardware, and is a separate entity, and generally doesn't require drivers. In fact, not sure I've EVER seen anything like that since they generally don't have an actual connection to the machine other than power.

Actually - it has a USB cable connecting it to the computer which it uses to automatically shut down the PC when needed due to power issues. It's one of the biggest reasons to have a UPS.

That's why I'm pretty sure it has software in the box to install too to aid this.

I've had a much more home user oriented cyberpower UPS before but kind of forgot to try out the USB/software to shut it down so this will be my first time using it.

updating it - I would have thought they show that in the manual but nope. Its not even in the BIOS setup pdf... but anyway, its here - https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/MicroSite/121/flashbios_qflash.pdf

I'll either use a flash drive or external HDD...

If I use a flash drive - I take it this is the one (I missed this earlier)
Can this USB still be used as a normal USB too?
View: https://i.imgur.com/wKTqZ3H.png

BTW when I read that BIOS PDF - do I just ignore where they write floppy and just assume its USB or Ext Hdd? (in the instructions in second half of doc)

Is there a safer way to flash or update the BIOS..... You can't do it within windows somehow? (I know that might be a wrong footed idea?)

Would you mind linking me to the page where that BIOS instructions link page was listed so I can see where you got it?
Is that info specific to this motherboard? I just want to be sure that will be safe/work for this motherboard officially etc?
Again - I'm new to this and don't want to brick an expensive motherboard?

You could install the App centre from under utilities as it can be used to update all the drivers on the motherboard

Thanks - I didn't know that hey such a thing.... got they like to fill it with crap don't they!
Reminds me of the last two windows - I only saw the same kind of bloatware preinstalled in windows in videos recently!

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Nope, there is nothing i know to run it at full potential :( (although it does run at its capable speed when out of the box)

I seemed to remember seeing something a while back where they had to enable some setting in the BIOS or EUFI for say Samsung S.M.A.R.T. or some other tech/software that is part of/works with the NVME's to get the best speed and stability?

Just can't remember the details?

cheers

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
no, i dont think so, i have not heard (or probably i will never hear) of a feature to boost NVMe

edit: if there are no errors with the NVMe running at the official speed why would you worry?? (or even try to do such a thing??)

It's not just about 'boosting' the speed, it's about enabling everything there is that can help it run at its best and also be able to maintain/check it's health.

Besides - the NVME was just one example.. I'm asking about anything that needs to have things enabled/disabled in the BIOS/EUFI etc to function fully/better etc in Windows.

cheers

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Regarding flashing/updating the BIOS - what are the main advantages of doing this? What does it change?

your board is likely on the intro bios as often they find things they need to change on them

1. Checksum: 05D5
  2. Fix Non-K CPU performance issue
  3. Optimization for improved VRM and processor overclocking thermal performance (CPU load line adjustments)
  4. Improve DDR4 XMP 3200~3600MHz compatibility
  5. Add Legacy Game Compatibility Mode option
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-PRO-DDR4-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Can this USB still be used as a normal USB too?
I think you can, I have it on my board as well but with so many USB slots, I may not be using it now.

I hadn't looked hard enough in your mobo manual to see if it had Q flash+, I figured it probably did. you can use that to flash bios if you want to.

Is there a safer way to flash or update the BIOS..... You can't do it within windows somehow? (I know that might be a wrong footed idea?)
i feel doing it from inside bios is safer than through windows. less points of failure. Some Asus bios let you update them from Internet in the bios tool itself, Gigabyte don't have that trick yet.

You could install the samsung NVME drivers once windows is installed, its under driver here - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

BIOS settings - I assume the bios had ppt & secure boot set on as defaults. Only setting you need to change in bios is XMP. Unless you plan on overclocking (and I would leave that until windows is on PC anyway)

Any questions Colif is unable to answer for you, I'll try to address when I get home from work this evening, if nobody else does, however:

As far as the BIOS goes, in recent years (As compared to the distant past when updating the BIOS was something only done rarely by most people and only if it was truly a necessity due to the risk of bricking your board back then) updating the BIOS has become not only common but in many cases an absolute necessity in terms of hardware support and bug fixes. In the past it there were few hardwares out there, so few things to have to worry about.

These days, tech architectures evolve rapidly and quite often it is absolutely necessary to update the BIOS in order to maximize or even allow for compatibility with newer models of CPUs, memory, graphics cards and other hardware and peripherals as well as to allow for fixes when errata or bugs become known. If a BIOS update is released, these days, it is generally for a very good reason and you should update so long as it is a STABLE release, not a beta one. OR, even a beta one if it addresses an exact problem you are having, although I usually like to wait until fixes in beta become stable releases before installing them so long as the system is still mostly functional. If it's not usable much at all because of the problem, then I'd bother with a beta BIOS release, possibly, depending on the problem. BIOS updates are practically like driver updates these days, however, I HIGHLY recommend to ANYBODY who is going to update their BIOS, despite the fact that it isn't as risky as it was in the old days, that you FULLY research the process for your specific motherboard manufacturer AND board model if possible, by watching any competent available video tutorials on updating that brands boards, and reading their primer on updating on their website, and asking further questions somewhere like here if you are unsure, until you are solidly confident of the process itself. Don't be somebody who learns just enough about a thing to be dangerous to themselves but not enough to be an informed user.

Also, I highly discourage the use of "online updaters" or "desktop BIOS updates" except in some cases, primarily with some laptop models, where that is the only way you can do it. I encourage people to either use the update utility IN the BIOS, with a new firmware version saved to an otherwise blank USB flash drive, OR for boards that have some version of BIOS Flashback, that. If a board has flashback, use that. If it doesn't, use the procedure for updating manually in the BIOS itself. And as I said, first learn the process until you are confident before you update to avoid any chance of a mishap on your own part.

As for the UPS, that's nice. I have an older one that lacks any kind of USB connection and since I rarely deal with that aspect of things when dealing with friends, customers, clients, etc., on the side, I'm definitely a little behind in regard to the available tech on modern UPS devices. I'll remedy that by doing some informative research and probably need to update mine as well instead of continuing to replace batteries. Somebody else here can probably give you a lot better information about the UPS technology, like my friend @Rogue Leader or @USAFRet who are both highly knowledgeable about such things, and probably more available than I am right now as well.

Anything else, I'm happy to do my best to answer when I'm home later this evening. Good luck. Also, yes, I know I need to do a new tutorial on CLEAN installing Windows 11 and a refresh of my tutorial on 10, but, life, and time, you know? LOL.

Dylan;

You are putting the cart before the horse, generally....

Buy the parts, assemble the parts, it then boots or it then does not.

Worry about the rest of it later.

If it does NOT boot, start a thread about that specific issue.

It's probably your nature to "analyze" continually for fear of making mistakes.

I suffer from the same issue.

It can be a detriment.

Half the stuff you are worrying about now needn't be considered at all...............until after the machine is up and running.

Concentrate on buying the right parts and attempting to boot. If it does, you are 90% of the way home. Consider all of this other stuff AFTER that, rather than agonizing NOW.

Prioritize. Do things in proper order.

Get the hardware in your house. Look for a screwdriver.

The Windows installation will supply drivers. If your hardware does not work as expected after you are up and running, maybe consider other drivers.

Last edited:
Buy the parts, assemble the parts, it then boots or it then does not
I'm quite sure this will get taken the wrong way, and today, I don't really care, but, no offense intended, but this is totally wrong. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but damn. If it was like that, we'd never have anybody coming here with "wtf is going on" questions.

Totally off base IMO. There is MUCH more to it than just that. Period.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Would you mind linking me to the page where that BIOS instructions link page was listed so I can see where you got it?
Almost all the motherboard makers have a Manuals link on the same page you find downloads
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-PRO-DDR4-rev-1x/support#support-manual
the actual manuals are down the bottom, the ones with no Description in the field

Nothing wrong with wanting to know how to do things before you do them.

the USB slot on back is more for Q Flash +. I don't think it matters which of the USB you put the USB stick in if you using tools inside BIOS
you can use the back one with or without cpu, ram & GPU in PC

Nothing wrong with wanting to know how to do things before you do them.
Not only nothing wrong with it, it's highly commendable. Nobody can know everything about everything, and if you don't know, you ask. THAT is how you learn, and learning is how you are best able to try and avoid costly, and sometimes irreparable, mistakes. So kudos on threads like this one because if more people did this we'd have a lot fewer "why didn't you" responses.