[SOLVED] Drivers for new AMD Graphics Card?

Feb 23, 2019
Hi all,
I just installed a Radeon 7770 into one of my old desktops in hopes of upgrading it. Now I'm kind of new to all this PC stuff but I'm trying to learn. When I plug the graphics card into the monitor, the image looks all stretched and distorted, so I figured it was a driver issue. I tried downloading the driver installer from AMD's website but the installer gets stuck right after the product detection phase, saying "RADEON - Your graphics card awaits" then presenting an express install and a custom install button, neither of which work. The motherboard has nVidia 6150SE integrated graphics and the drivers for that are already installed, and I was wondering if I have to uninstall those first before trying to install AMD drivers? Or is there something else I have to do? I'm running Windows 7 32-bit (will upgrade soon).
Thanks for your help

Solution
one way around the installer issue is to install the driver manually.

go to the device manager and locate the new card, should be under "Display Adapters"

double click the new card and click the driver tab, followed by the "update driver" option. chose "browse my computer..." and then browse to the folder with the win 7 32 bit driver in it. it's looking for the .ini file. once it finds it, then select it and let it update the driver.

when you first ran the driver .exe file you downloaded, it extratced the driver files to an AMD folder on the root of C: so that's where to look for the driver .ini file. you have to look around a bit but normally there is a packages folder that has multiple driver folders under it. keep looking until...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

go to the device manager and locate the new card, should be under "Display Adapters"

double click the new card and click the driver tab, followed by the "update driver" option. chose "browse my computer..." and then browse to the folder with the win 7 32 bit driver in it. it's looking for the .ini file. once it finds it, then select it and let it update the driver.

when you first ran the driver .exe file you downloaded, it extratced the driver files to an AMD folder on the root of C: so that's where to look for the driver .ini file. you have to look around a bit but normally there is a packages folder that has multiple driver folders under it. keep looking until you find win 7 drivers. should all be 32 bit since that's what you downloaded was 32 bit package

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's normal. it does that because it only has the generic windows driver installed for it. the driver .ini file actually has the name od the card with it and changes it whenit installs.

update the driver for that generic device and it'll change to the actual name it is.

Feb 23, 2019

when you first ran the driver .exe file you downloaded, it extratced the driver files to an AMD folder on the root of C: so that's where to look for the driver .ini file. you have to look around a bit but normally there is a packages folder that has multiple driver folders under it. keep looking until you find win 7 drivers. should all be 32 bit since that's what you downloaded was 32 bit package
Thanks for the reply, but Device Manager and DirectX Diagnostics show the graphics card as "Standard VGA Display Adapter." Sorry about that, should have said that in the OP.

Feb 23, 2019
that's normal. it does that because it only has the generic windows driver installed for it. the driver .ini file actually has the name od the card with it and changes it whenit installs.

update the driver for that generic device and it'll change to the actual name it is.
Wow thanks! I'll try that