Drives and folders take too long to open

beerlord

Reputable
Aug 12, 2018
I just built my computer and wonder if there is a BIOS setting that I missed that is causing such slow opening of folders, drives and some files. I have an SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB drive and it boots up very fast. Last week, just after I built it, it seemed fine. I did change my memory setting to XMP because it was not set at the manufactured speeds but it seemed fine after that. I don't see anything specific to the M2 that requires changes other than Auto or Raid and it's set to Auto.
I have the Maximus X Hero WiFi and everything else seems just fine. Temps are fine as well.
I have no idea what to change but can say that my 5 year old system is faster at this point.
Any ideas? Need more info?

spiketheaardvark

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Do you have an external drive attached? My computer hangs for a second while the external drive spins back up whenever I start to browse files, even if I'm not directly looking in that drive. It could also be some power save feature

beerlord

Reputable
Aug 12, 2018
I have the M.2 EVO and 2 large mechanical drives. 1 Seagate 2 TB and 1 WDBlack 3 TB. No external.
I did just reboot and had to get to work but I remoted in to my desktop and now things are somewhat back to normal. I wonder if it could be the virus software. I usually just use an antivius but am not using Bitdefender Total Security and I'm not usually a fan of those bulky programs. But for now, it does seem faster. I'll keep an eye on this and try a few things.

I did look in the BIOS and see a M.2-1 Configuration that can be set to Auto, SATA or PCIe and it's set to Auto. Not familiar enough with this to know anything but plan to look into that too.

I doubt that any bios settings does cause this, espechially since what you said about it booting fast.

What I would like to ask is this:
- What OS, and 32 or 64 bit?
- Is all drivers installed for chipset, etc.
- Have the system being that way since first time you booted up / logged in after install.
- The issue itself (1): Does this occurs whole time, or just in the seconds after opening Windows explorer?
- The issue itself (2): If you navigate between several folders, does it tend to mostly be slow on the first one?

beerlord

Reputable
Aug 12, 2018
Windows 10 64bit.
I'll need to check to see if I have the latest chipset drivers but the board did come with the latest BIOS so I wrongly assumed the rest was up to snuff.
Right after I built it and before I added much software, it was uber fast and I did not notice any sluggishness until the last few days but no new software was added these last few days.
The issue was occurring each time I opened Explorer, some files, and all folders. It happened each time. Sometimes the icons on the desktop would flash to blank icons and back to the correct icons.
I rebooted before I left for work and as I type this now, I can use Team Viewer to remote in and everything is working up to snuff. Everything opens quickly and like it should.

beerlord

Reputable
Aug 12, 2018
Tonite things seem to be working as they should I did a couple of reboots and can only assume something was slowing things down but I'm going to watch it over the next week and see what changes.