[SOLVED] Drobo Mini Died

Feb 11, 2022
Morning!

I have had this drobo mini for several years and have always used it as a backup for all our family photos/ videos which was a mistake! I guess I didn't truly understand how a RAID really works. I thought when a drive would die it would be saved on the other drives and I would just be able to hot swap it to another computer and grab all my files. Dont seem to be the case, once I plug the drive into my machine it reads Unallocated. So, what happened was during a move my drobo took a fall and when you power it on it just gets stuck in a reboot loop, I have tried everything I think is possible to get it to come back on. If I take the ram out it will stay on. I have ordered another stick of ram hoping that's the issue but not getting my hopes up. During the fall, I notice one of my drive's beeps 3 times and don't come on, so I feel it has failed. The other three drives are fine, my question is, would I be able to plug these 3 drives into another drobo and get my data back? I have access to another drobo but it's not the same model. I have tried using software and re-creating the raid, I'm able to see some of the photos but definitely not all of them, and several are pixelated so bad you can't even make them out. I have called some recovery companies and I may have to end up going that route but was just curios to hear if anyone has ever experienced this before. I'm all ears, and willing to try some other things. My wife is on the verge of killing me lol😬

I think it is setup in a RAID-5, it's been a long time since I set it up, but I want to say that it.

Any info is much appreciated!

Solution
RAID doesn't work like that.
Especially in a Drobo. They do things very very weird....not traditional 'RAID' at all.

2 options:
  1. Buy an exact replacement Drobo (this may or may not work)
  2. Send this off to a data recovery company and pray.

But, this speaks to the common misconception of a NAS or RAID.
It is NOT a backup. At all.

Your data also needs to be on some other device.
And you really need to know how to recover from a disaster at any level, of any device.

USAFRet

Titan
RAID doesn't work like that.
Especially in a Drobo. They do things very very weird....not traditional 'RAID' at all.

2 options:
  1. Buy an exact replacement Drobo (this may or may not work)
  2. Send this off to a data recovery company and pray.

But, this speaks to the common misconception of a NAS or RAID.
It is NOT a backup. At all.

Your data also needs to be on some other device.
And you really need to know how to recover from a disaster at any level, of any device.

Solution