Question Dropped CPU on floor, chance that it is damaged?

LetoAtreidesII

Commendable
Apr 6, 2017
I accidentally dropped my brand new Intel CPU about 4 feet onto my hard wood floor. It was in partial packaging - basically I opened the box, turned it upside down and shook it until the contents fell out, but instead of falling onto the table, it bounced off and onto the floor. So it's a real PITA to install, test, and remove a CPU so if there's a good chance it's damaged, I would rather just replace it now than install it in my motherboard and remove it later.

It was in a very thin plastic clamshell which was itself in a small bit of cardboard (I think) when it impacted on the floor, so it had some padding, but not much. How likely is it that the CPU was damaged?

LetoAtreidesII

Commendable
Apr 6, 2017
Thanks all. I'm pretty convinced that my CPU is OK. I somehow thought it was more fragile than it is, probably, because it's sophisticated technology engineered at the microscopic level. Also, about 23 years ago, I dropped a hard drive onto my driveway and that clearly damaged it (no external damage evident but huge numbers of bad sectors immediately upon use). But different piece of hardware and technological progress I guess.

If it was in the standard little plastic holder within a cardboard wrap, I'd anticipate zero chance of damage...

That's exactly what it was in when it hit the floor. Zero chance is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks!