Question Dropped thermal paste on my motherboard

Dec 27, 2020
So i dont know how it got their but theres thermal paste on my motherboard by the cpu socket its on one of the circut line things coming from the cpu socket i also noticed one of my cpu pins is black and burnt looking i tried to turn it on before realizing any of this it would start to turn on but before it could got to post it shut off i cleaned off the thermal paste and took everything out should i try to return it to the manufacturer or should i put it back together and try again.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
So i dont know how it got their but theres thermal paste on my motherboard by the cpu socket its on one of the circut line things coming from the cpu socket i also noticed one of my cpu pins is black and burnt looking i tried to turn it on before realizing any of this it would start to turn on but before it could got to post it shut off i cleaned off the thermal paste and took everything out should i try to return it to the manufacturer or should i put it back together and try again.

Thermal paste is not electrically conductive. It does not cause short circuit. You can immerse your motherboard inside a bucket of oil (not water). thermal paste looks wet, but that is not water.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Thermal paste is not electrically conductive. It does not cause short circuit. You can immerse your motherboard inside a bucket of oil (not water). thermal paste looks wet, but that is not water.
Not entirely accurate. There's more than a few pastes that are conductive, like Arctic Silver 5 can be before curing.

Also can depend on the burn. If it's a high amperage pin that got almost totally insulated, that bad contact can create a ton of heat in a pinpoint area instead of being spread across the entire contact.

Either way, one or both is most likely damaged to the point of uselessness.

Reactions: LeiHeJun