Question Dropping FPS after switching power cord

JJSwatt

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
I recently noticed I had a 10A 125v cord, so I started doing some research. Majority was saying it should be a 10A 250v, so I ordered one, but after a couple of days I'm starting to drop like 5-15 frames plus ghosting sometimes. Btw I have a EVGA Bronze 850 B5, got it brand new with the 10A 125v cord. Im wondering if the power cord switch could be causing this issue.

Ralston18

Titan
"Majority was saying it should be a 10A 250v, "

Source?

Where did you get the new 250v cord?

What is the standard voltage where you live?

Just put the the original 125v cable back into place. Does the dropping FPS problem end?

The 250 v cable could be defective or the 5-15 frames/ghosting could be a coincidence and due to some other issue.

Maybe a faltering/failing PSU.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

[Noted that you mentioned "brand new" with cord. How long ago?]

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Majority was saying it should be a 10A 250v
Those 'Majority' are clueless.

You only need a cord rated for your home power source. So if you live in UK, they use 250v system that has an entirely different plug end to the 120v system in the US.

125v cable is identical to a 250v cable. With 125v, there's a black 'hot' and a white neutral. With a 250v system there's 2x black 'hots' and no neutral. Electricity is color blind, doesn't care what color the wire is, so a 10A capable 250v is identical to a 10A capable 125v cable. Both capable of 10A. Just has a different end that plugs into the wall socket.

Almost All modern psus are auto switching, they are rated for @ 108v-255v AC, at 50/60Hz so you can use whatever cord fits your particular house.

Cheap cords are rated 10A. Better cords are rated 15A, especially on 850w+ psus, since psus pull more from the wall than the power seen after conversion.

JJSwatt

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
Thanks guys for the help. I switched monitors and the problem went away. With my old monitor I would always limit fps to like 30 when I wasn't in game to give my GPU a break. Could that be what broke my monitor?

Ralston18

Titan
Not familiar with that monitor but the reviews seem to be good.

Would not expect problems so soon with such limited use. Then again any device can be or become problematic.

Any warranty left on the monitor?

Beyond that I will defer to those who have used the monitor for gaming.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm been using the same Asus 1080p/60Hz monitors for the last 10 years. A 1.5yr old monitor isn't 'old' by any means and should not be having any problems with any input unless there's a manufacturer defect in either the data cable or the monitor itself.