drunk brother pissed on my computer!

MalakiArtook

Honorable
Mar 5, 2014
So i have a problem that is a bit out of my realm of knowledge/experience. as you may have inferred my computer got wet....

my brother was at the bar next to my house, couldn't drive home so he came over and passed out on my couch. Long story short he gets the privilege of buying me some sweet new parts.

So the computer was most likely ON during the incident. The old lady went down stairs in the morning to turn it on so she could watch tv and nothing happened. upon further inspection the area was damp and the dvd case sitting on top was full of liquid. she quickly put it together and ran up stairs to inform me what my brother had done in his drunken, sleep walking state.(he had left by then) Well i sprung out of bed and leaped down the stairs to inspect the situation. asked he if she pushed the on button. what happened ect.

While calling by brother{and proceeding to curse him out) i dismantled the computer. Took out the CPU, ram and. GPU as well as unplugged all cords in case liquid had gotten into the connectors. i left the MOBO and PSU in and just set it near the base board heater.

Seeing as it didnt turn on i knew the psu was gone so i orders a new XFX XTR 750 that came in yesterday. My question is given the situation should i just put it together and swap out the PSU? is there something else that might have fried and is there any risk to hooking the new psu to to the computer? any insight would be helpful.

Soak up any remaining liquid with a lint-free cloth. Do not use paper products, since these could leave lint or scratch the board. Do not rub any cloth on the circuit board, since this could scratch or dislodge the parts. Place the cloth over the board and press gently. This will soak up the liquid.

Remove the worst of any remaining particles by brushing with a toothbrush. This includes any globs of dried liquid. It does not need to be perfect at this stage. Remove any dust or loose pieces of dried liquid by spraying compressed air. Spray in one direction in quick bursts, since the canister can become extremely cold if used for longer sprays.

Clean any residue off the circuit board using a cotton swab. Moisten the cotton swab in isopropyl alcohol. Do not use a dripping wet swab. Swab gently in stubborn areas and be careful not to upset the components. The alcohol should take care of most of the work without rubbing.

Reassemble the device and test it. Many devices, from cellphones to computer keyboards, can survive a brief spill or dunking by drying and cleaning them, and they will continue to work after you put them back together