DSL sync rate slows down during the day but gets back to normal at night

immortalgamer

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I'm supposed to get 4Mbps, but from the last month I'm facing a weird issue. From about 11PM to 9AM, the sync speed is normal, but after 9AM it starts decreasing slowly and keeps fluctuating till 11PM.

Sometimes, during the day, it fluctuates and keeps increasing and decreasing. At one point, it's at 4096kbps and the next minute it reaches as low as 320kbps.

I contacted my ISP, but they couldn't find anything wrong with the line. I've even bought a new modem, but it didn't solve anything.

Currently, I'm using a TP-Link TD-W8901N modem router. Here are the modem stats during the night:

Line State : Showtime
Modulation : ADSL2 PLUS
Annex Mode : ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin : 9.8 8.0 db
Line Attenuation : 33.1 18.3 db
Data Rate : 4096 520 kbps
Max Rate : 6704 520 kbps
CRC : 213 0

and day:

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin : 6.4 7.9 db
Line Attenuation : 18.0 18.5 db
Data Rate : 2180 320 kbps
Max Rate : 2763 456 kbps
CRC : 30467 0

My guess is that the speed decreases because of peak times. Anyway, has anyone dealt with this kind of problem before? Any clue why this is happening?

immortalgamer

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

But it didn't used to happen before and the sync rate used to be 4096kbps all the time.

According to the technician, there's nothing wrong with the cables or sockets. I've done the isolation test as well, but it didn't help.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

That's because it boils down to money, and a possible external fault is something a lot of companies aren't willing to fix because of this. (You're on old copper lines right?)

Now if the engineer had been honest and / or knowledgeable he would have told you the same, like the engineer who visited our property last year did....3 times in all.

We have a fault on the external line which causes the everything to become slow if games are played for long lengths of time. They won't fix it as our ISP who is separate from the line owners refuse to pay out for something that they think isn't their problem.

It's the infrastructure owners who maintain the lines and they too refuse to fix it because the fault could be anywhere between our property and the exchange 2 miles away.
The best they could do was spend 3 days testing locally.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
BTW. I changed ISP's for 12 months to see if it WAS my ISP throttling the line. I turns out the problem was exactly the same.
So with that, (annoying as it is) I accept the line is faulty and will never be fixed properly.

immortalgamer

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

But the lines are owned and maintained by my ISP. Should I ask them to reset or change the port in the exchange? Will that help?

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

You can try but don't get your hopes up. They want to spend as little as possible IMO.
If you think the problem is external (which it does sound that way) and you get no help from the monkeys in the call centre then sending a letter to your ISP's director will be the only way to get a possible result.

We did the same a few years back when our old ISP screwed the migration up.
One of the senior bosses phoned to apologise and got things fixed.