Question What's causing my pc to do this?

May 3, 2024
Pc specs:
12100F
MSI PRO H610M-B
PNY 8x2gb 3200mhz
Thermaltake Litepower 450W
Ichill GTX 1660 super

It's been 2years since I build this system. The graphics card was installed 7months ago before that there was gt630 in the system.
I have been facing this issue from the very first day since I build this system if I remember correctly. The issue being, whenever there's a power outage or when I turn the computer power supply off weather the pc is running or not, after the power comes back on the pc does not turn on. However many times I press the power button the system just doesn't seem to turn on, it seems like it's completely dead(since no fan or any light turns on). Unless I turn the power supply off again and keep it off for a few minutes or so and then turn it on again and try to turn on the system, then the pc will turn on no problem. I can't figure out for the life of me what's causing this weird ass issue. Is it the motherboard or the power supply? Btw this problem doesn't always happen, sometimes the system does turn on after a power outage. but then immediately crashes and then turns back on again only to crash yet again, it keeps on crashing unless I turn the power supply off again and wait a few minutes and turn back on then the system becomes fine.

Btw there are actually times when the pc does turn on after a power outage and also doesn't crashes, but it is rare and almost always happens when I'm not playing any games before the power outage.

Last edited:
Sounds as though you are having psu issues. How old is the power supply in question? An article I came across about those was from 2009, and they said they only had a 5 year warranty. So I’m thinking you may need to replace that power supply. Plus the fact you have to turn the psu off and on at times to get it to work is an indication.

When you shop for a newer unit, have a look at this list. Ideally you want a tier A or B unit, but definitely not any lower than tier C. But it should give you a good indication of quality as you’re shopping.