DSW settings?

Just purchased an A7V8X-MX SE motherboard, and an AMD Athlon XP 3000+.
Trying to figure out how to set the dip switches on the motherboard.
CPU is 2,167 Mhz with 333 Mhz front side bus. I can't find anything
close to this in the motherboard manual. Can anyone help?

Paul

Splendid

In article <92c03c16.0405271902.185486e2@posting.google.com>,
ro_ca_@hotmail.com (Ron Campbell) wrote:

> Just purchased an A7V8X-MX SE motherboard, and an AMD Athlon XP 3000+.
> Trying to figure out how to set the dip switches on the motherboard.
> CPU is 2,167 Mhz with 333 Mhz front side bus. I can't find anything
> close to this in the motherboard manual. Can anyone help?

The processor front side bus is double data rate, as is the
RAM. A setting of 166MHz x 2 for the doubling, gives the
rated 333MHz speed. And, stuff usually works best when
FSB and MEM are at the same speed, if you can manage it.

An AMD processor has a 64bit data bus, and the processor's
data needs are met by a single DDR DIMM (which is also 64 bits
wide) running at the same speed.

A P4 processor has a 64bit data bus, but is quad pumped. In
that case, a 200MHz clock setting gives FSB800, and it takes
two DDR400 DIMMs operating in dual channel mode, to feed it
properly (effectively, they take turns feeding data).

As a consequence, dual channel on an AthlonXP is kind of a
waste, unless there is some other device needing a lot of
bandwidth, such as a built-in graphics core for example.

HTH,
Paul