Dual 4k @ 60HZ monitors NOT Gaming! For CAD only

achmann

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
Whilst I realize this seems to have being covered extensively I am forced to ask because I am running into many issues on my end.

I have recently purchased some new rigs for CAD work, Intel Core i7 7700 KABYLAKE - DDR4 32GB ram and this fine graphics card because it claimed it could support dual 4k at 60hz.

It will not run 4k on a single monitor above 30hz,

Customizing the resolution seems to max out at around 52 hz.

I have also tried using a 3GB 1060 card which maxes out 42hz. This makes CAD hard on the eyeballs. I am thus far struggling to find a clear answer on a graphics card (Preferably I'd like to run just one card) that will handle both monitors on 4k @ 60hz. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to this?
Or is this just not yet an option?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions of a discussion which clears this up for me.

Couldn't this also be a graphics driver issue? If not the hardware blame the software/drivers I'd say.

achmann

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017

Thank you for both your answers. I was aware the HDMI isn't able to do this unfortunately which is why I bought a card that runs DP only, albeit miniDP.

I accidentally stumbled into a solution which I will write here in the hopes it helps someone else in the future.

To get my 4k @ 60hz as advertised, I needed to enter my monitors Menu --> Setup --> DisplayPort (On some of these it is called DisplayPortStream) and change it from 1.1 to 1.2. NOTE: This is not under input. Not sure why this is even an option, if someone cares to explain below that would be great.

Then a restart seems to be needed, then once you log back in go into the nvidia control panel and look for the (native) tag beside the resolution. In my case it was always the 4k option with (Native) beside it. Voila 4k @ 60hz which makes me very happy.

Hdmi 2.0 does support 4k/60 which has been out since the 900 series. Of course the monitor also has to be 2.0. There is a reason for dp 1.1 and 1.2 options but I just can't remember. Older 1.1 gpus need it to work? I know it was something that made complete sense but it just was something that few would encounter. It could help others if they knew the monitor model but I know a lot of them have the dp version option and it would apply to them all.