Schultzy51

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
I'm looking for a motherboard that supports dual amd and dual agp if its even possible. I have just begun to search for one.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
i'm afraid i aint come across one.you're best going for something like the asus a7m-266d or there are a few tyan boards which take dual mps.don't think you'll find a dual agp one but my experience in the area is limited so i don't know for sure.good luck.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Yo S,

When you say "dual amd" do you mean a double socket amd Athlon MP motherboard? Where have you looked? They are not hard to find. Why do you want a Athlon MP mobo(what do you plan to do with it?)?

When you say "dual agp" do you mean a video card with 2 VGA outputs? or a "Built-on Motherboard" video card with 2 VGA outputs? or do you mean a AGP Slot that is AGP 2.0?

My answer: unless you are using software that is optimized for Multi-Processors, do not get a Athlon MP mobo. For the money I think you might be bettter off getting a Intel P4 3.06 ghz & a hyper-threading capable mobo & as much ram as you can fit in it. About the "dual agp", if you plan on using 2 monitors, get a video card that has 2 vga outputs, this is not the function of the mobo, but the function/design of the video cards. If you don't know where to look, try www.newegg.com, I have never had a problem with them........very good people. Good Luck

Peace Out...............tile

I wish my imaginary friends could give me better advice

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
you're not going to find a dual amd mobo with dual agp, or any mobo for that matter. there is only one board that i know of made by micron i believe on the i840 chipset. had dual agp slots. but intel never let it fly, only about 50 or so mobos were made. i wouldn't expect to see it either. yeah yeah agp3.0 spec "should" be able to support it. BUT, with the caliber of dualhead cards out now, there is no reason (other than running more than two monitors) to have dual agp. and mobo makers aren't going to waste time and resources catering to such a small crowd.

masturbation is the first step towards self-awareness.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i would recommend against the asus board. sorry but since all the hoopla about it being one of the first mpx boards out, haven't heard anything about it, that's not a good sign. it's performance is so so and don't even think about using the onboard audio, unless ofcourse you really like your sys crashing a few times daily. for mpx board only two choices:

1. if you don't mind spending some money and would like onboard scsi, dual ethernet, the tyan k7x is sweet.

2. on the cheaper side, other than the k7x, msi's k7d-L master is a hands down winner. msi really stepped up to the plate with this. very nice performer and more stable (and compatible) than either tyan boards i've had (tigerMP and tigerMPX).

as far as dual xp's go. if you don't mind using a conductive pen to connect the L5 bridge. depending on where you live (uk, aus, ca or USA) mp chips are pretty cheap now. and if you do go with xp's, don't think you're going to get a couple xp2600's w/333 fsb and think it'll work. most of the mpx have minimal ocing features at best. the only board i've seen able to get to/past 166fsb is iwill's mpx2 and that's a crap-shoot. not to mention the sheer size of that thing, need a big case for it.

so if you're serious about putting a dual box together, i'd head over to <A HREF="http://www.2cpu.com" target="_new">2cpu</A> and check out their forums. no offense to anyone here, but more ppl there would know what's going on in the dual cpu arena.

masturbation is the first step towards self-awareness.

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Another vote for the MSI board.

BTW: In theory you could put two AGP bridges on the ServerWorks GC chipset. I don't think anyone will 'tho.

Isn't AGP going to disappear with PCI-X anyways?

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
pci-x can run either at 133, 100 or 66.
One thing for sure is that so far, both A7M266-D and MS-6501 K7D Master has got unwokable USB but Asus and MSI included a USB2 card instead.
ok, i'm sorry but schultzy, this is exactly why i'd say it's in your best interest to head over to 2cpu.com. you'll get help here but half the people won't know what their talking about and just make claims based on assumptions. i can't even recall how long it's been since usb has been fixed on the mpx boards, it's been that long! dunno about the asus, like i said i don't hear people talking about it. but i can tell you for a fact the msi boards have working usb, as well as the gigabyte board and the chaintech board and tyan board(s). even with working usb, msi still includes a usb2.0 card. man, this place doesn't change.

cdrw, floppy drive, cd-rom? what are these strange words you speak of?