dual boot for playstation system

Bastiaan Bulling

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
Dear all,

I'm trying something that should work ( will confirm tomorrow when I'm home again) :

Get a PS3 to run PS4 data and games ( I found videos on youtube proving that it works) now my question is :

Can you "force" an HDD to automatically be a dual-boot?
in this case I would need a dual-boot to have the choice of launching the PS3 data or the PS4 from my PS3 hardware. In theory this should be possible, the only thing is, how to create a dual-boot that is compatible with the playstation hardware.

OR, does a hardware piece exist to link 2 hdd's onto 1 slot ( with an on/off button maybe)?

Thakns for any help and advice,

Kind regards,

Beo

Solution
Hey there, Bastiaan.

This sounds really interesting and unfortunately impossible in my opinion. As far as I know, there's only one SATA port for the PS consoles, so there's no way for you to physically attach a second hard drive internally. I really doubt that you can boot from an externally connected hard drive.
As for running PS4 games on a PS3 console, this really does not sound possible as well. There's no way for the PS3 hardware to be able to run the games meant for PS4. Even developers are having trouble with that. E.g. Mortal Kombat X was supposed to come out for PS3 as well, but it was delayed a couple of times until the developers finally announced that the limitation of the older hardware of the PS3 makes it impossible for...
Hey there, Bastiaan.

This sounds really interesting and unfortunately impossible in my opinion. As far as I know, there's only one SATA port for the PS consoles, so there's no way for you to physically attach a second hard drive internally. I really doubt that you can boot from an externally connected hard drive.
As for running PS4 games on a PS3 console, this really does not sound possible as well. There's no way for the PS3 hardware to be able to run the games meant for PS4. Even developers are having trouble with that. E.g. Mortal Kombat X was supposed to come out for PS3 as well, but it was delayed a couple of times until the developers finally announced that the limitation of the older hardware of the PS3 makes it impossible for them to port the game properly for the older console.

Hope that helps. :)
Boogieman_WD

Solution