Dual boot Ubuntu/KXStudio with Windows 7

Xavi3rify

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Last time I tried I had to format my hard drive because I couldn't get into Windows anymore...

Can you tell me how or link me to something? Thanks :D

Solution

Always try to install windows first because it will erase the Ubuntu loader if you install Ubuntu first whereas Ubuntu will add windows to it's loader.

So install Windows.
When finished go to disk management and shrink the windows volume as much as you want to leave space for Ubuntu.
Leave the empty space created empty.
Shut down.
Boot from your Ubuntu medium and select either live or install. The advantage of live is you can check hardware issues before installing.
Accept your prefered keyboard, language, time zone etc...
When it gets to the partitioner it will offer to...

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Always try to install windows first because it will erase the Ubuntu loader if you install Ubuntu first whereas Ubuntu will add windows to it's loader.

So install Windows.
When finished go to disk management and shrink the windows volume as much as you want to leave space for Ubuntu.
Leave the empty space created empty.
Shut down.
Boot from your Ubuntu medium and select either live or install. The advantage of live is you can check hardware issues before installing.
Accept your prefered keyboard, language, time zone etc...
When it gets to the partitioner it will offer to install Ubuntu side by side with windows, that's the easy way and it'll use the empty space to install.
User name, computer name and password your choice.
If you have a webcam it'll offer to take your photo for an icon if you want or you could just skip that.
Have a glass of tea and it should be finished.
Reboot. windows will probably complain about the hard drive being messed with. Just let it do it's check and it'll be happy again.
It really should be that easy.

Solution

Xavi3rify

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

Sorry, I have Windows 7 now and I want to put KX Studio on.

The installer is like Ubuntu but slightly modified.

Xavi3rify

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

My hardware can run both Ubuntu or KX Studio fine.

I would prefer KX Studio to Ubuntu because it has more features built-in.

When I did it before (Win Vista then KX Studio) it messed up my hard drive so I had to format it.

I already have Win7 on, now I just need to install KX Studio as a dual-boot system.

Also, is there a way to make Windows 7 come first in the GRUB boot list after I install?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It appears that you install KX Studio onto an existing Ubuntu system or via its own distro. From the website:

KXStudio is a collection of applications and plugins for professional audio production. KXStudio provides Debian and Ubuntu compatible repositories and its own Linux Distribution based on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS.

That being the case, if you have the full install version (based on Ubuntu 12.04LTS), you would boot from the install media. During setup, Ubuntu will see the previous Win 7 install and give you the option to adjust your current partitions to allow for Ubuntu to be installed. The boot loader will also accommodate both OSes afterward as well.

Xavi3rify

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Oh I remember what happened last time...

I deleted the KX Studio partition, then the GRUB partition, then the other really small partition (all in Windows Vista) and then I rebooted and it said GRUB RESCUE COULD NOT FIND BOOT DEVICE or something.

So I will install KX Studio later then c:

Thank you!

(Plz leave the thread open just in case I mess up)

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

FYI
GRUB is a universal boot loader, ie it gives you a list of bootable systems such as Ubuntu, win7 and vista all of which are automatically included when you install or reinstall GRUB. It replaces the MBR (master boot record) that Windows installs. When you erased GRUB your system didn't know what to boot as there were no instructions as to what was available. You could have recovered by using a windows recovery cd/dvd or other repair cd like Ultimate Boot CD and restored a generic MBR rather than reformatting. Since windows installs an MBR that doesn't include Linux or other systems your GRUB is lost and linux becomes unbootable but that also can be fixed if you make that mistake, this is why we suggest that you install the more friendly (You have other OS's? No problem) Linux after the egoistic (we only acknowledge the existence of MicroSoft Products, all others shall be ignored) Windows.

That little partition? It's called a swap partition and it is used by Linux to speed things up while you are working.

Xavi3rify

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

Well I had nothing on the hard drive anyway :p

Thanks for the info :)

I will be installing KX Studio later and I'll tell you if I mess up :D

Xavi3rify

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Sorry I haven't been on so long... I had loads of school work to do :c

Anyway, when I tried KXStudio yesterday on LiveDVD, I clicked Install and it came up with an installer.
When it went to Disk Setup I got really stuck. It said either Manual or Guided.

Guided used the whole disk and overwrote Windows.
Manual... I don't know.

When I clicked Manual and clicked Next, it came up with a load of stuff about my drive.
Some of it I knew, some of it I didn't.

Anyway, I cancelled because I thought I would mess something up.

I then opened GParted and tried to figure out how the heck to use it.
Then next to my hard drive it had a yellow warning triangle with ! inside.

I right-clicked on my drive and clicked Information.
It said I had bad clusters or something...

So I couldn't make a new partition.

AND I tried in Windows but it hung on 'Querying drive for available shrink space' or something...
In the end (after about 5 minutes) I just closed it.

So now I'm stuck on something else.

Xavi3rify

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Alright. I have decided...

I SHALL USE UBUNTU!!
But I will install KDE.

I have WUBI and I am using that.
I put 20gb of my 2tb HDD to Ubuntu.

Will Ubuntu be able to read my Windows drive?

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Yes, Ubuntu can read a windows drive, I use it to fix windows all the time. You should have been offered a side by side with windows install, if you didn't it may be because you have other partitions already there? Is that the case? There is a limit of 4 primary partitions but we can work on that.

Xavi3rify

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
I have my 2tb then a 100mb that is labelled as System.

Hmmm....

Anyway, I have the ISO burned to a DVD so I shall now reboot and install on that.

Thanks for all the help! I shall tell you if I need any more assistance so I won't close the thread :p

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
It looks pretty cool so I decided to install it. If you install Kubuntu 13.04 (ubuntu with the KDE) you may run into one glitch, do not try and install Carla internal plugins in LV2 format as it will uninstall a whole lot of things you want to keep. Apparently a conflict with KDE.

Xavi3rify

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Can you recommend a good, free partition manager? :p

GParted won't touch my drive because it has an 'error' in the clusters :S

I tried EaseUs which didn't do anything because it was a stupid trial.
I have MiniTool Partition Wizard which would have worked if I had my RAM...

So I'm kinda stuck.

Right now I'm trying to install WUBI again. At the moment it says 'Downloading amd64.tar.xz' and it's nearly done. I shall keep you updated :p

Thanks for following the thread stillblue :D

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Actually i should think you're better served by fixing the errors. It's in windows so you need to boot to windows and do a disk check.

Just in case, my computer right click on the partition that needs checking tools check now

Xavi3rify

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Alright. It's downloaded. Now it says 'Extracting'...

And now 'Expanding'...

Still expanding...

And this... Like before...
24o34nn.png

I still have it open...