[SOLVED] Dual boot win 7/XP

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
so I have an old dell precision 530 mt, I upgraded the bios so that it would run dual Pentium xeon's 3ghz each

anyway I bought a USB 3.0 PCI card and it works perfectly in windows xp, but has a driver issue in windows 7, same driver disk but in the windows device manager the driver has the yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it.

now for my question, if I remove the windows 7 drive and put a clean one in its place can I install windows XP and have it dual boot windows XP? my reason for this is so that I can go the upgrade rout on one of them to windows 7 and hopefully keep the working driver in windows XP for the 3.0 USB card.

it works great in XP but will not work in windows 7, I have used the IObit driver updater and there does not seem to be an updated driver for this card, if there was the driver updater would have found it.

it all depends on if I can dual boot two separate windows XP installations so that I can upgrade one to win 7, I want to make this an audio-video machine. it has the power, and I di not have to buy anything else.

Solution
The driver won't magically upgrade itself to work in Windows 7...

You give way too much credit to automatic driver updaters. For common components sure, but there will always be things not in their database.

Best to figure out the chipset used in the USB 3.0 card, go directly to the chip manufacturer and get the driver from there. If you haven't already tried drivers from the manufacturer of the card.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The driver won't magically upgrade itself to work in Windows 7...

You give way too much credit to automatic driver updaters. For common components sure, but there will always be things not in their database.

Best to figure out the chipset used in the USB 3.0 card, go directly to the chip manufacturer and get the driver from there. If you haven't already tried drivers from the manufacturer of the card.

Reactions: xenthia
Solution