[SOLVED] Dual Boot XP and Windows 10 (each) on TWO Individual Hard Drives

danny jones

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I have an old computer loaded with XP, old software, and old files which don't work in Windows 10. I have a new computer, Dell Precision 3630 Tower, loaded with Windows 10. May I install the hard drive with XP into my new computer?

Solution
Given sufficient host system hardware, XP will run in a VM without much trouble.
I installed one in a VirtualBox VM a few weeks ago, to test something.

It runs OK. Of course, you'll need a valid license for it. It does shut off after 30 days.

And as said above - "a newer version that does work with Win 10 "
CorelDraw 2019
https://www.coreldraw.com/en/product/home-student

USAFRet

Titan
I have an old computer loaded with XP, old software, and old files which don't work in Windows 10. I have a new computer, Dell Precision 3630 Tower, loaded with Windows 10. May I install the hard drive with XP into my new computer?
Highly unlikely the old drive with XP will simply boot up as normal in the new system.

If you try this, do it with all other drives physically disconnected.
And have a good backup of whatever is on the XP drive. Any critical files, etc.

What software are you using that is XP only? I've found very very few where there is not a newer version that does work with Win 10, or there is an alternative application that does the same function.

danny jones

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
[QUOTE What software are you using that is XP only? I've found very very few where there is not a newer version that does work with Win 10, or there is an alternative application that does the same function.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you for answering.
CorelDraw 8 with ME fonts does not open in Windows 10. I tried all of the compatibility options to no avail. Even in Windows 8.1, CorelDraw 8 files opened up, but the text/fonts were unusable.
Would you recommend a simple switch between computers? No "Virtual Machine" or "dual boot-up"?

Last edited:
your newer computer probably will not run XP at all.

all motherboards and cpu introduced after July 26, 2017 have no drivers for any version of windows except windows 10, or windows-10 derivative versions of Windows Server.

You MIGHT be able to get windows XP to run in a virtual machine, but it would emulation only and slow