Dual booting Windows 8 and XP

spaklo

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Is there a way to make it so I can run XP and Windows 8 on the same machine? I'm ok at computers, but when it comes to formatting drives I get confused. I have two hard drives, one empty and other with XP installed in it. My machine is a little bit outdated but I think it's possible to run Windows 8. Would I have to make a new partition or could I just install it with no problems? How would it go? My second HDD, too, is kinda borked and crashed once (lost all files, but seems like I can use it nonetheless). :??: So, is there a way for me to install W8 without wiping everything from the main drive with XP?
By the way, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm new here.

Solution

Virtual Machines like Oracle VM Virtual Box work fine in Windows 7 and 8 except for a slight performance drop.I use this personally.

Again if you wish to Install Windows 7 on the other hard drive,you can install it to your motherboard of the computer that runs Windows XP (not recommended to keep the XP hard disk connected while formatting with Windows 7 to the other drive).

After you have installed the Windows successfully,add the two hard drives to your SATA port and Press whatever keys...
if your machine is an xp machine dont assume it will run ok on win8. there should be something like an upgrade advisor available from microsoft that will tell you.another drawback is finding drivers for some of your older hardware.this is harder still for 64 bit systems.if you like xp why not dual boot with windows 7. at any rate to dual boot 2 operating systems you first must partition the drive into 2 partitions.there are free programs for this including easus partition master. then you install win8 on the other partition.

spaklo

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Thanks, I'll take a look into it. I might actually get W7. Doesn't matter, really.
But yeah, even if you have 2 hard drives, you still have to partition them?
I share my comp. with my brother, and he wants to stay with XP but I want to upgrade, so I was thinking I could dual boot and stuff. That's what I thought.
He's better at this kind of stuff and I tried asking him but he doesn't want to tell me. :p

i think you can install two operating systems on two drives but its not recommended.best to split on drive in two as it were.if your brother is liking xp tell him to keep in mind that unless its the pro version he has not real support.even pro is done in,i beleive, april 2014. personally i would go for win7. ive used 8 and cant stand it.

spaklo

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Hmm, why is it not recommended? Well, I'm actually thinking of installing Windows Vista now. Doesn't really matter what version... I have lots of computers here, some came with Vista and others with 7 though we don't use them. My brother bought XP years ago and that's the first (and only) operating system I've ever used. I want to upgrade but my brother doesn't. LOL. We share computers... well... he likes using mine, at least.
And yeah, we have Windows XP Professional but it's going to end support soon and even though I told him that, he's stubborn so I just thought maybe I could do a dual boot.

You need to tell him to move on really.

The only way to dual boot XP and 8 is to set them up on separate HDDs and in IDE mode only as XP does not natively support AHCI.

That said, I recommend 7. Its like XP but a lot better. Once support ends for XP, it will become a virus playground. Then after a while that will die down but you will see, and I have already started seeing, less and less software and hardware support for it.

Tu Hed

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013

Just Download ORACLE VM VIRTUALBOX in your PC and Run any operating system - Windows 98,95,2000,LINUX,Ubuntu,Win 7,XP,Apple whatever without removing any of your files.

The method of installing is also basic and you will have no problem in doing that.If you are unable to do that,ask me again.

XP doesnot support AHCI so you cannot boot Windows XP from the same hard drive acording to what others say in your thread reply.
But however,if you Change the mode to IDE from BIOS and format your PC,Install Windows XP on one partition and other version of Windows in another partition,it will work like water.

spaklo

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Yeah, my plans are to either install Vista, 7 or 8 on another hard drive (I have two).
So basically, I could install W7 on the other drive or it's really not... possible?
Ah, and... I've tried virtual machines before, but not with Vista/7/8.

Tu Hed

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013

Virtual Machines like Oracle VM Virtual Box work fine in Windows 7 and 8 except for a slight performance drop.I use this personally.

Again if you wish to Install Windows 7 on the other hard drive,you can install it to your motherboard of the computer that runs Windows XP (not recommended to keep the XP hard disk connected while formatting with Windows 7 to the other drive).

After you have installed the Windows successfully,add the two hard drives to your SATA port and Press whatever keys you have in your motherboard firmware to open the BOOTABLE DEVICE list after turning on the power.

I hope you will know the Model names of your two different Hard Drives.Select any one and boot up your PC .

In the My Computer,you will find the other Hard Disk also connected
and you can use it easily.

This works for Windows XP and Windows 7 simutaneously!

Any more problems after doing this step,ask me and I will call you !! :D

Solution

spaklo

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Sorry for not responding before, I was busy, but anyway... I installed Windows 7 normally on the other disk. There were a few problems in the beginning but they were fixed by restarting and fiddling with some things. Thank you all. :)

Tu Hed

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013

Sure bro :)