Dual-Channel DDR3: Who Makes The Best 4GB Kit Under $150?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I'm still glad with my choice to stick with the crucial modules in all my builds for nearly a year now. Nice article, was very informative, but I don't think it will effect my overall choice on future builds.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'm sure they're not present in the article, because they simply didn't want to send any modules in time.
Besides, corsair is usually middle of pack, and ocz has compatibility issues on every second motherboard or something. Not the biggest of losses.

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
"We recommend G.Skill’s Trident DDR3-2000 specifically for mid-budget overclockers who believe in the importance of memory speeds beyond those we’ve found to be beneficial to program performance."
LOL

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
4gb is no longer the optimal capacity. RAM prices are going up component-wise. 4gb of DDR3 1600 was down to about 95-100 dollars at one point, but now the price has gone up $10-15. Meanwhile, the price of 2x4gb kits have gone down from about $420 to $260-300 (This is for ddr3 1333)

I think that if someone is building a new PC, it is now better to invest in 8gb in a 2x4gb kit than it is to invest in 2x2gb. You will eventually upgrade to 8gb anyway (next year or in 2 years), so why don't you just buy the 8gb in 2 sticks for only a slight % increase of Cost/GB

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]dalta centauri[/nom]Here I am running 4gb of ADATA DDR2 ram at 800MHz and others have 250$ worth of ram in their computers. I think it's time to upgrade (Darn, 300$ down the tube)[/citation]

if you have ddr2 what would you upgrade to? unless you have one of those mid 2007 p35 motherboards with both ddr2 and 3, you're probably going to upgrade your platform to support new memory. And honestly that's a waste. It's much more important to have enough memory than it is to have memory speed.

My server system's using 6gb ddr2-667 memory. It needs more amount rather than more speed.

My parents have 12GB ddr3-1600c9 which I've underclocked to 1066 speeds for the sake of stability, and I haven't heard them complain.

And personally I can't notice any real difference between 1333 and 1600 speeds on my low latency modules

G

Before recommending GSkill, you should investigate the countless problems popping up between P55 chipset and GSkill chips (see NewEgg reviews, for example). GSkill is not the only one affected by these "cold boot" issues, but is by far taking the most heat. How about a story on this?

tainted_peak

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I just hate how last year around this time DDR2 2x2GB of 1066 were around $60 USD. This transition is really killing PC building and the bottom-line for many. 2% to 10% increase in overall performance for an extra $100 isn't worth it when your building sub $500 PCs.

This review is a little simple. Where are the Crucial Ballistix and Crucial Ballistix Tracer? both are around $130 on the egg.

We know that G.Skill is a very good manufacturer, but like I say in this review isn't the Baliistix, Ballistix Tracer, Corsair and OCZ.

joesapp37

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I saw an article about chipmakers manipulating the market, but it must have been a bad dream. I remember about a year ago I bought a kit of 2x2GB ddr2 dominators for $60... and they are how much now? $160!?!?!

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
How can this review be complete without one of the best kits out there, the Corsair Dominator C8 @ 1600MHz...($147.99__$137.99 after rebate)...is it because Tom's could not get Corsair to fork it over for free?

Newegg

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I am surprised Mushkin was not included. Generally they tend to have some of the lowest latencies of all memory and they tend to come overclocked on certain models and they are usually the cheapest. I only use Mushkin now and have never had any issues with them!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]SchizoFrog[/nom]What happened to Corsair and OCZ? This is just another article for you to advertise certain brands, shame on you Tom's...[/citation]Corsair and OCZ have the advertising money yet never responded to the invitation. Kind of makes you wonder what's going on at Corsair and OCZ.[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]4gb is no longer the optimal capacity....why don't you just buy the 8gb in 2 sticks for only a slight % increase of Cost/GB[/citation] Tom's recently reviewed 2x4GB kits, look in the memory articles for more information.[citation][nom]tcgx235[/nom]Before recommending GSkill, you should investigate the countless problems popping up between P55 chipset and GSkill chips (see NewEgg reviews, for example). GSkill is not the only one affected by these "cold boot" issues, but is by far taking the most heat. How about a story on this?[/citation]Tom's Hardware reports actual findings. Tom's Hardware doesn't do ignorant things like sticking the memory in the wrong slots, thus Tom's Hardware doesn't have a stack of memory and a stack of motherboards on its blacklist.[citation][nom]cabose369[/nom]I am surprised Mushkin was not included.[/citation]Mushkin didn't send anything either.

cerealkeller

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
More RAM doesn't necessarilly mean better performance. Half of the motherboards I've owned in the past had issues with either OCing, or even running at stock frequencies with all 4 dimms full as opposed to 2 dimms. Maybe if you're stuck running with 4GB or less. I have a 6GB Trident set and if you're not comfortable with OCing, you can set it to 1600mhz and play with latencies. Or, run it at 2000mhz which I've benchmarked and got some significant performance gains from. Several FPS in certain games, which actually amazed me, but it's true. Also, coming from someone who has used primarily Dominator in the past, it's overpriced crap compared to the G Skill. I'm never going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.