[SOLVED] Dual Channel Ram gets in the way of CPU Fan

Jun 2, 2020
So I got a Cooler Master Hyper T2 for my Ryzen on my Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX motherboard.
The mother board has 4 slots for System Memory and they have two channels. So for my two sticks of ram I put them on the same channel.
But when I do this the Cooler Master just gets in the way of the ram and I can't center the Cooler Master on the Ryzen CPU.

But if I use two separate channels for the Ram so they are not on the same channel the CPU Fan will clear.
Will I get a big performance hit if I have the RAM on seperate channels? The ram is "XPG Z1 DDR4 3000MHz (PC4 24000) 16GB (2x8GB) Memory Modules Red (AX4U300038G16-DRZ)".

Right now I am using the stock fan that came with the AMD Ryzen. But if I want to try and Over Clock a little I would need to install the Cooler Master.

What are my options?
Different Ram?
Run Ram on separate channels?
Can I shim the Cooler Master so it sits a little higher?

Thanks
Mike

Solution
T2 is a 120w TDP cooler, a smaller 92mm version of its bigger brother the 140w TDP 120mm Hyper212. The Wraith Stealth comes in right at @ 120w too. Also happens to be built by CoolerMaster.

You end up paying for something that AMD gave you for free, and has fitment issues.

You can never Overcool a cpu by mechanical means, but as obvious you can Undercool one easily enough. Rule of thumb when it comes to coolers is simple. Bigger is always better. So purchase the largest cooler you can fit in the case and justify spending money on, the advantages in bigger are not just limited to temps, noise also plays a factor, a larger cooler has greater capacity and larger fans, so the ramp up under loads is far less noticable, less aggressive...
Jun 2, 2020
Right now I have the ram in the grey slots. So that is wrong? oops

B450M_DS3H-1.png

You want the RAM on separate channels. It runs faster this way.

To be clear, you either want both sticks in the grey slots, or, both in the black slots.

If you can't do this, then either get RAM that isn't as 'tall' as the ones you currently have, or get a new cooler that will give you the proper clearance from the top of your RAM sticks.

Reactions: maarset
How close is the clearance issues? Can you post a picture?
If its the fan blocking the way it shouldnt be too difficult to move the fan up on the cooler to make clearance.
If its the actual heatsink in the way, you would either need a new cooler, or shorter RAM.

Reactions: maarset
Jun 2, 2020
It is the cooling fins that get in the way of the ram. If it was slight I suppose I could bend the fins a little.
The fan is out of the machine right now and using the AMD stock fan so can't really take a pic.
But here is the ram that is getting in the way.

81XfLlc%2BpIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

How close is the clearance issues? Can you post a picture?
If its the fan blocking the way it shouldnt be too difficult to move the fan up on the cooler to make clearance.
If its the actual heatsink in the way, you would either need a new cooler, or shorter RAM.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
T2 is a 120w TDP cooler, a smaller 92mm version of its bigger brother the 140w TDP 120mm Hyper212. The Wraith Stealth comes in right at @ 120w too. Also happens to be built by CoolerMaster.

You end up paying for something that AMD gave you for free, and has fitment issues.

You can never Overcool a cpu by mechanical means, but as obvious you can Undercool one easily enough. Rule of thumb when it comes to coolers is simple. Bigger is always better. So purchase the largest cooler you can fit in the case and justify spending money on, the advantages in bigger are not just limited to temps, noise also plays a factor, a larger cooler has greater capacity and larger fans, so the ramp up under loads is far less noticable, less aggressive, less loud.

A small cooler is like skinny tires, no worries just crusin down the street, just don't try to take hard corners or........

Solution