Info Dual Channel Ram Issues and Potential Solutions

Mrsteve4011

Commendable
Jan 19, 2021
Intro: I recently came across an issue when building my current PC, which I could not get the PC to POST. I had matched dual channel RAM in the correct slots and PC would simply not POST with the DRAM light lit on my motherboard. Tested with 1 stick of RAM and the PC would POST. So, if this is you and you are scratching your head, then I may be able to help some poor lost soul.

Long story short, the issue I had diagnosed and solved was too much CPU pressure caused by the CPU heatsink. Now, I know this has been somewhat covered through answers, but I never really came across an organized post regarding it.

So, what has caused this issue and why? What caused it was simply apply too much torque to the screws on the heatsink backplate along with too much torque on the screws securing the heatsink to the CPU itself. The heatsink I had was a Noctua NH-D9L. This particular heatsink has thumbscrews for the backplate to the motherboard and spring loaded screws for the heatsink to CPU. With any PC build....take your time and REMEMBER, go finger tight, then a 1/4 turn, or slightly snug, then 1/4 turn. Thats it! LASTLY, apply even torque as you go to ALL the screws. Don't torque one screw by itself all the way, then move on to the next....do it evenly. Do not overthink it, or feel like, "surely this isn't tight enough!"....well it is. Unless you notice obvious wobble, do another 1/4 turn. If no wobble....just stop.
With too much pressure, it causes the CPU to sit funny, or make poor contact. Remember the memory controller is apart of the CPU. Also, it may have caused the motherboard to flex.

Other Potential Issues: Another issue that may have happened due to Hulking the screws, is you bent a CPU/Motherboard pin. Obviously, you would have to remove the CPU and take a look at it as best as you can. I looked at mine and honestly, I don't know if I would have been able to spot one unless it really jumped out at me. I have read that a bent pin is tough to do (unless it was simply a hardware deficiency), therefore not likely to have occurred.

Anyways, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how a brand new MB, CPU, and RAM could not POST. Hope this helps someone.

Unless there's some gross imbalance to the point where the board/socket is warping to one side, I'm not seeing how tightening the screws causes poor contact. Even if this was a PGA socket, bent pins won't cause issues unless the pin broke off.

I mean I'm not doubting what happened, but it doesn't make sense to me that say overtightening all the screws to more or less the same torque would cause this.

Mrsteve4011

Commendable
Jan 19, 2021
I understand, but apparently other people including myself have had this experience. Could i have possibly tightened too much to one side? That is possible of course, but I didn't think I did. So, that leads me to believe I simply applied too much pressure. When i go from not having dual channel with too much pressure to having dual with less pressure.... well that sounds like a good scientific conclusion.

It is a real issue that I've read about for at least the past 5 years, but it's almost impossible to replicate predictably. Seems to happen to boards as a one-off. It manifests itself as losing a memory channel or losing one or more memory slots. There's some speculation that too much pressure causes contact issues with the CPU pins/pads, but it's just speculation. From what I’ve read it’s (almost?) never permanent damage – just loosen the screws and go about your day.

Mrsteve4011

Commendable
Jan 19, 2021
Yea, I agree on the speculation. I don't think anyone wants to willingly apply too much pressure to there CPU to test an outcome. My next step, since I have been working 12s, is to stress test the system to make sure no issues arise. The only way I even thought of doing this was by coming across posts of this very issue and this happened to solve it. It seems like its a 50% success rate.....I just happen to fall on the good side of it. Cheers!

I got curious and wanted to see if this was a thing and apparently Skylake processors had a bending issue if you overtightened the cooler: https://pcper.com/2015/12/intel-sky...end-under-pressure-damage-cpu-and-lga-socket/

I could see this with LGA style sockets since the PCB of the processor itself isn't held down. PGA style sockets though I still don't see how since once you close the latch the thing has a practical deathgrip on the pins. Unless the pins were being ripped out of the substrate.

Reactions: Mrsteve4011