[SOLVED] Dual channel with 3 stick

Solution
both dim slot should have equal total size to work as dual ch?
For dual channel mode memory modules have to be operated in pairs.
Best option is getting 2x16GB ram module kit. This way you have highest compatibility and highest chances of everything working as supposed.
Next option is 4x8GB configuration. You may get compatibility issues this way. May need to adjust ram settings manually. May be necessary to reduce performance settings to improve stability.

With 3 modules you don't get dual channel mode. It either operates in single channel mode or in flex mode (part in dual, part in single channel mode).

BTW - why have you not listed model name of your motherboard yet? This is important/necessary info.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

currently i use 2 stick slotted DIM A2 and DIM B2
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE®-LPX-16GB-(2-x-8GB)-DDR4-DRAM-3000MHz-C15-Memory-Kit---Red/p/CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R

if i add 1x stick to either DIM A1 or B1
can it run in dual channel?

whats the requirement?
same type/speed/size?

the mobo manual does not explain this scenario

thanks
It depends on the CPU. Intel CPUs can support "hybrid" mode where the RAM that has dual channel will run dual channel and the single will run single. I think all AMD CPUs will run an unbalance RAM as single channel.

Oct 4, 2021
Many motherboards do support flex mode and it depends on the configuration. You can get fully working 2x4 and 1x8 as two memory banks. 2x4 + 1x4 might result in the first 8gb in dual channel
if i may conclude from your comment,
so what i can do is get 1x 16gb stick and slot to dim A
then move 2x8gb stick to slot dim B?

Best option is getting 2x16GB ram module kit. This way you have highest compatibility and highest chances of everything working as supposed.
Next option is 4x8GB configuration. You may get compatibility issues this way. May need to adjust ram settings manually. May be necessary to reduce performance settings to improve stability.

With 3 modules you don't get dual channel mode. It either operates in single channel mode or in flex mode (part in dual, part in single channel mode).

BTW - why have you not listed model name of your motherboard yet? This is important/necessary info.

Solution

Endre

Reputable
Hello,

currently i use 2 stick slotted DIM A2 and DIM B2
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE®-LPX-16GB-(2-x-8GB)-DDR4-DRAM-3000MHz-C15-Memory-Kit---Red/p/CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R

if i add 1x stick to either DIM A1 or B1
can it run in dual channel?

whats the requirement?
same type/speed/size?

the mobo manual does not explain this scenario

thanks

Hello!

If you want to upgrade the memory size, please use, not 1, but 2 other DIMMs! Fill all 4 memory slots! (As the diagram shows).

Oct 4, 2021

oh sorry, im new to this forum, just made account yesterday

here is my board and cpu
CPU Ryzen 5 3600